Quote of the Days: Rays' Joe Maddon wants a 'real' field

Aug 5, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT

There was no disco dancing for Joe Maddon after Jason Kubel did his little turn on the catwalk Thursday.

“That was probably the perfect commercial advertisement, reason to have a new ballpark. There’s no better reason than that. I know it works both ways, but to lose a game in a pennant situation like that because of the roof totally indicates why there’s a crying need for a new ballpark in this area, regardless of where they put it. It just needs to be a real baseball field, where if you were to lose the pennant by one game and look back on a game like that becasue the roof got in the way, you’d be very upset. There’s no better reason than that.”

Joe Maddon on Thursday after Jason Kubel’s popfly to shallow left in the top of the ninth hit the catwalk at Tropicana Field and dropped for an RBI single, giving the Twins a 7-6 lead in a game they won 8-6.

1. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:26 PM

In the meantime, how about putting up some biohazard logos over the concession stands at the Tropicana Tumulus and giving out free gauze masks so fans won’t have to inhale mold spores? Another temporary improvement: pain the entire structure with realistic images of whatever’s on the other side of it, so it will seem to disappear. Less ugly, net gain.

2. Brian - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Yes, because no ballpark in MLB that doesn’t have a roof and low catwalks could possibly have any sort of quirky, distinguishing, and / or potentially play-interfering physical abnormalities.
    Boston has the Green Monster and that dinky little corner in right-center. Houston has the hill and the flagpole. Tampa has a roof. Get over it.

3. scatterbrian - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM

maaahh, I spilled my milk!

4. bigshotrob - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Maybe they should get some fans before they steal a wad of the taxpayers money to build a new stadium.

5. John_Michael - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Did he just concede to the Yankees?

6. RedLeg15 - Aug 5, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Old Gator… I know what the reports have said. I’ve been to 24 games at the Trop this year. Have you been to any? I’ve only been reading HBT for a few months now. Everything I have seen that you have put out seems to be to be a negative dig..

7. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM

No problems with the Rays’ fan base. And the anemic attendance has little to do with the stadium having a roof per se. Like the Feesh, they have a lot of fans who show up in the TV ratings – and would attend many more games if the stadium were conveniently located like, say, across the bay somewhere. Kvetch all you want about the loyalty levels of fans, but the idea is to bring them in, not berate them, if you own a team. If you owned a restaurant with great food but did poor or middling business due to your location, you’d move somewhere where you’d pick up more customers, right?
    It would also help if your place of business weren’t so flat-out ugly.

8. flpunx - Aug 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Newsflash – Tampa already has 2 teams they don’t support, so why give them a 3rd? When was the last time you saw a decent crowd at a Lightning game? Penguins Canadiens and Capitols games don’t count. There is nothing wrong with the Trop even though you obviously think it isn’t visually attractive. There is no proof moving the stadium to Tampa will make any difference. You can quote disposable income figures all you want, but don’t forget people in St. Pete hate crossing bridges as much as people in Tampa do.

9. YankeesfanLen - Aug 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

You should hear how he talks about the Borg…..shameful.

10. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Moving the team to the east central side of Tampa opens up an entire region, including Lakeland and Orlando, to convenient access to a stadium, as well as giving the fans north of Tampa expressway access to a hypothetical stadium that they don’t have to the Tropicana Dump. The net gain over St. Pete of this whole region in potential game-going fans would be quite significant.
    And I don’t think the Tomb “not visually attractive.” I think it’s hideous.

11. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Negative about the building, yes, but not about the team, which I enjoy watching immensely on Faux Florida. I’ve not gone to any games this season – usually I attend all of the Citrus Series games at the Tomb to root for the Feesh, but this year I’m on strike against lining Scrooge McLoria’s pockets while he nickels and dimes his fans with payroll dumping and refusal to compete on the free agent market. All that said, I’ve been going to games at the Tumulus since the Feesh began playing interleague games there, so that’s a lot of years. I suppose I must’ve gone to at least thirty or forty games there. I thought the place was like some horrible dungeon encased in a spittlebug bubble the first time I walked into it and still do.
    And Buddha only knows how many times I’ve been flushed for tapeworms when it was only the beer concession over there.

12. bigshotrob - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I always thought fans went to see their team and tourists went to see the ballpark.

13. Mr. Furious - Aug 6, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Old Gator has it right (as usual). While the Trop is certainly the worst venue in Major League Baseball, the location is the real problem. But it is sad that the Rays’ AAA team plays in a significantly nicer stadium.
    As grotesque as it is, I will say this for it – at least the quirks are a side effect of the way it was constructed, rather than the artificial quirks in Houston.

14. minnesotaboy - Aug 7, 2010 at 10:35 PM

they have fans people in florida just dont wanna go to a dome to watch baseball when they can go to the beach

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2911)