Aug 5, 2010, 2:08 PM EDT
Someone in Kansas City understands the concept of sunk costs and the desirability of roster flexibility: Jose Guillen has been designated for assignment.
Guillen had a fast start this year, and I understand why the Royals continued to play him even after he cooled down. Their thinking: someone, somewhere [cough!] Brian Sabean [cough!] might have gotten desperate and tried to trade for him. But that never happened, he’s currently 0 for his last 21 and no one with their right mind is going to give the Royals anything of value for him in a waiver deal. Expect this DFA to turn into a release within ten days.
The real beneficiary of this move — besides Royals fans who have to be tired of watching him and being reminded how much he costs — is Kila Ka’aihue. Finally called up to the Royals, he can now expect regular playing time at 1B with Billy Butler playing DH (or vice-versa) and the Royals can finally see what they have in him.
There’s a ton of talent on the Royals farm. In the past week they have unloaded Rick Ankiel, Kyle Farnsworth and Jose Guillen. There is hope in Kansas City, my friends. There is hope.
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 2
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 54
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 63
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)