Aug 5, 2010, 2:08 PM EST
Someone in Kansas City understands the concept of sunk costs and the desirability of roster flexibility: Jose Guillen has been designated for assignment.
Guillen had a fast start this year, and I understand why the Royals continued to play him even after he cooled down. Their thinking: someone, somewhere [cough!] Brian Sabean [cough!] might have gotten desperate and tried to trade for him. But that never happened, he’s currently 0 for his last 21 and no one with their right mind is going to give the Royals anything of value for him in a waiver deal. Expect this DFA to turn into a release within ten days.
The real beneficiary of this move — besides Royals fans who have to be tired of watching him and being reminded how much he costs — is Kila Ka’aihue. Finally called up to the Royals, he can now expect regular playing time at 1B with Billy Butler playing DH (or vice-versa) and the Royals can finally see what they have in him.
There’s a ton of talent on the Royals farm. In the past week they have unloaded Rick Ankiel, Kyle Farnsworth and Jose Guillen. There is hope in Kansas City, my friends. There is hope.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (282)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)