Aug 5, 2010, 2:08 PM EDT
Someone in Kansas City understands the concept of sunk costs and the desirability of roster flexibility: Jose Guillen has been designated for assignment.
Guillen had a fast start this year, and I understand why the Royals continued to play him even after he cooled down. Their thinking: someone, somewhere [cough!] Brian Sabean [cough!] might have gotten desperate and tried to trade for him. But that never happened, he’s currently 0 for his last 21 and no one with their right mind is going to give the Royals anything of value for him in a waiver deal. Expect this DFA to turn into a release within ten days.
The real beneficiary of this move — besides Royals fans who have to be tired of watching him and being reminded how much he costs — is Kila Ka’aihue. Finally called up to the Royals, he can now expect regular playing time at 1B with Billy Butler playing DH (or vice-versa) and the Royals can finally see what they have in him.
There’s a ton of talent on the Royals farm. In the past week they have unloaded Rick Ankiel, Kyle Farnsworth and Jose Guillen. There is hope in Kansas City, my friends. There is hope.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)