Aug 5, 2010, 7:54 PM EST
More bad news on the season-ending injury front.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers manager Joe Torre said Thursday that catcher Russell Martin is unlikely to return from the disabled list this season.
The catcher suffered a labral tear in his right hip while crossing home plate on Tuesday night and will require crutches to get around for the next three weeks. Even if he begins rehabbing immediately after that, it’s a longshot that he will be ready by late September or early October.
The Dodgers currently sit seven games back of the Padres in the National League West and would have to leapfrog the Giants as well to reach the postseason. Andre Ethier is coming around at the plate and Vicente Padilla turned in a great performance on Wednesday night, but it may be time to count Los Angeles out of this year’s playoff picture.
For now, A.J. Ellis and Brad Ausmus will fill in behind the plate for the Dodgers. Martin, 27, turned in a .248/.347/.332 batting line, five home runs and 26 RBI over 331 at-bats this season. He should be ready to go by the start of spring training next February.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)