Aug 5, 2010, 7:54 PM EST
More bad news on the season-ending injury front.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers manager Joe Torre said Thursday that catcher Russell Martin is unlikely to return from the disabled list this season.
The catcher suffered a labral tear in his right hip while crossing home plate on Tuesday night and will require crutches to get around for the next three weeks. Even if he begins rehabbing immediately after that, it’s a longshot that he will be ready by late September or early October.
The Dodgers currently sit seven games back of the Padres in the National League West and would have to leapfrog the Giants as well to reach the postseason. Andre Ethier is coming around at the plate and Vicente Padilla turned in a great performance on Wednesday night, but it may be time to count Los Angeles out of this year’s playoff picture.
For now, A.J. Ellis and Brad Ausmus will fill in behind the plate for the Dodgers. Martin, 27, turned in a .248/.347/.332 batting line, five home runs and 26 RBI over 331 at-bats this season. He should be ready to go by the start of spring training next February.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)