What a long strange road trip it's been . . .

Aug 5, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT

It’s hard to take writers’ rants against drugs in baseball when teams do things like hold “Jerry Garcia Tribute Night.”  That’s what the Giants are doing on Monday:

The National Anthem will be sung by Bob Weir,
Phil Lesh and Jeff Pehrson, while the seventh inning stretch will be
played by Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann. As an added bonus, NBA Hall
of Famer and notorious “Deadhead” Bill Walton will be in attendance.

Grateful
Dead fans paid in between $20 and $50 to sit in a special section of
the ballpark. The first 9,000 who bought tickets to the promotion got a
Garcia bobblehead, sponsored by Ben & Jerry’s, which of course makes
the ice cream flavor Cherry Garcia.

How much does it cost to sit near that section? Like, downwind?  No reason.

In other news, Tim Lincecum is not scheduled to pitch on Monday which is, like, a total bummer.

1. YankeesfanLen - Aug 5, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Old Gator, is the VW bus up and ready yet or do we take the Grand Marquis? We’ll pick the Rabbit up along the way and meet APBA guy across the bridge.

2. APBA Guy - Aug 5, 2010 at 1:13 PM

A cheap reaction by the territory hogs Los Gigantes to the A’s playing “White Rabbit” when Cahill pitches. Grace Slick or Jerry Garcia, I made that choice a long time ago.

3. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Musically speaking, is pot a performance enhancing drug? If so, who should take it to have the best effect, the musicians or the audience, or both?

4. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 1:44 PM

They’re playing the Cubs. Maybe if you drop a couple tabs of acid before the game you could experience an alternate universe where the game would be competitive and the beer would be free.
    PS. When is someone going to have a Linkin Park Tribute Night?

5. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Gotta tell you a totally true story. This one falls under the general rubric of “even virulent socialists have a sense of humor sometimes.”
    Years n’ years ago my wife and I took advantage of my rich daddy and mommy’s trip to Europe to “borrow” dad’s Rolls-Royce outta the garage and, with a couple of pals, drove into Manhattan to see the Dead at Madison Square Garden. At the time I was working in aviation and aerospace risk assessment and liability adjustment, so I looked kinda straight – even compared to my silver leonine aspect now.
    We pulled into the parking garage underneath MSG and as we stopped by the attendant, a flower-covered VW Cockaroach – you couldn’t even call this thing a Beetle given the shape it was in – pulled up behind us and a couple of freaks got out. One of these kids’ eyeballs was bugging out at the sudden manifestation of a Rolls Royce within his visual field, however cinemascopic it must have been at the time. This future Reagan Democrat looked up at me in bewilderment and asked, “hey, man, whattya gotta do to get a car like this?” I put my arm around him in tenderly avuncular fashion and confided, “sometimes, son, you just gotta be will to crush people, know what I mean?” I patted him on the shoulder and gave him a knowing wink.
    A look of horror crossed this kid’s face, like I hadn’t seen since Emiko Yamane fell on her ass on that Odo Island hilltop just as Godzilla was rising over the crest of the ridge and roared down at her. You could actually hear what he was thinking: “Everything they told me about capitalism is true.” Which of course it is.
    That particular dead show is largely captured on Road Trips, Volume 2: Madison Square Garden September 1990. It’s a great CD and worth the price just for the “China Cat / Know You Rider” medley with its fugue between Jerry and Hornsby.

6. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM

If I’m not mistaken – seriously – the last time the Dead “sang” the national anthem (which is a bit of a joke because that musical atrocity is not really singable), the Loma Prieta earthquake followed within about twenty minutes. Craig, you got the statistical base to verify that?

7. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Okay, never mind, my memory is going – which is a relief, considering what else could be going instead at my age.
    The Dead actually sang the Anthem on opening day 1993 at Candlestick Park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH8ObibNCoo

8. RichardInBigD - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Craig, I hate to tell you this, but you are likely to alienate more than on Dead Head Baseball fan. If you are wanting to illustrate “What a Long, Strange Trip It’s Been” Using album art from the Warlocks descenants, it would be more appropriate to picture the cover from American Beauty than from Steal Your Face. A small detail to some, but of MAJOR import to true Dead Heads…

9. RichardInBigD - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Take pot?

10. Jonny5 - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I have some cool footage on VHS of the dead playing when Jerry wasn’t the lead singer. It was this guy, i think he was called pig pen. Anyway he had a big huge welt on his face and did a damn good job of singing “hard to handle”. Which until I had this pc of tape, I thought was written by the black crowes, here the dead were singing it before my dad had pubes.
    Now, now craig, Lincecum already has proven pot isn’t a PED. Or did he???? I guess he uses it to channel his inner spud gun???

11. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Johnny5, ye need ter be ejerkated. Jerry was indeed still the band’s ” leader” when Pigpen (Ron McKernan was with the band, albeit “leadership” was a business model the band always strove to find ways to avoid. Pig was also their keyboard player. Then, as always, until the band broke up after Jerry’s death, vocals were alternately shared among the members who sang leads – Pig, Weir, Jerry and after Pig, Keith Godcheaux and Brent Mydland.
    A Ben and Jerry’s note: when the ice cream company produced Cherry Garcia, they negotiated a bit with the band’s lawyer, the international poker champion Hal Kant. Ben and Jerry wearied of the legal finagling and wrote a note to Jerry that said, in the very spirit of the business model (as it were) the Dead were trying to work out, look, do we really need some fucking lawyer to settle this? Kant saw the note and went through three ceilings. Garcia very reluctantly allowed him to take Ben and Jerry by the figurative throat and squeeze. Eventually, it all got settled, of course.
    And thank Buddha it did. Hot today? Take a big hefty scoop of Cherry Garcia and drop it into a tall glass. Pour a bottle of Framboise Belgian Lambic raspberry beer over it. You now have an R-rated ice cream soda. Enjoy.

12. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Red Stag also goes well with it, if you’re a bourbon drinker. Red Stag goes well with black cherry ice cream.

13. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM

You just got the news about Lil’ Wilpon’s comment about Minaya. I understand why you’d rather have bourbon. Fortunately, I don’t need anything that hard on my ice cream.

14. APBA Guy - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:00 PM

If you saw the PBS special of Peter Frampton playing the Mausoleum in 1977, you’d know the answer: both, in large quantities. Because even if you were there, you won’t remember without the video.

15. The Rabbit - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I can be ready in 5 minutes.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic