Wilpon says that Omar Minaya will be the Mets' GM in 2011

Aug 5, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT

Everyone is wondering if this disappointing season will be the last go-around for Omar Minaya as the Mets’ general manager.  Owner Fred Wilpon says that it’s an absolute certainty:

Wilpon, in East Hartford, Conn., to help announce a new partnership
between SNY and UConn athletics, brushed aside reporters’ inquiries
about his floundering Mets. But as Wilpon walked away, a Post reporter
asked if Minaya would remain the team’s GM beyond this year.

“Is the sun going to come up tomorrow?” Wilpon answered.

Of course it would explain a hell of a lot more about the state of the Mets if that question wasn’t rhetorical and Wilpon simply didn’t know.

UPDATE: Matthew Cerrone — who knows more about the inner-workings of the Mets than I’ll ever know — doesn’t think we should read too much into this.

1. bigshotrob - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM

If true, that’s good news for the other teams in the NL east.

2. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Hey… Wilpon is only about 5 minutes away from where I work. Maybe I can flag him down for a couple beers and talk some sense into him.

4. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I will wait and see. It’s not like Wilpon Jr was in a position to say “yeah, he’s as good as fired.”

5. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I hear you cry. Tell me where to send you a case of synthetic endorphins.

6. Dan in Katonah - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM

First time I ever wished the sun wouldn’t come up in the morning…

7. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Don’t worry. 2012 is just around the corner. If Wilpon is a Wimpon, the planetary alignments will do the job.

8. walk - Aug 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM

As a braves fan im giving new york two thumbs up for this move. Keep up the good work.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey