Aug 5, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
Everyone is wondering if this disappointing season will be the last go-around for Omar Minaya as the Mets’ general manager. Owner Fred Wilpon says that it’s an absolute certainty:
Wilpon, in East Hartford, Conn., to help announce a new partnership
between SNY and UConn athletics, brushed aside reporters’ inquiries
about his floundering Mets. But as Wilpon walked away, a Post reporter
asked if Minaya would remain the team’s GM beyond this year.
“Is the sun going to come up tomorrow?” Wilpon answered.
Of course it would explain a hell of a lot more about the state of the Mets if that question wasn’t rhetorical and Wilpon simply didn’t know.
UPDATE: Matthew Cerrone — who knows more about the inner-workings of the Mets than I’ll ever know — doesn’t think we should read too much into this.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)