You may want to bring your own beer to Rays games

Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 AM EDT

Last week we passed along the results of an ESPN study of health code violations in our nation’s ballparks. Tropicana Field fared particularly poorly in that study. At the time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because the Marlins fared poorly too and maybe the violation tallies were more a function of tougher health code enforcement in Florida than elsewhere as opposed to greater filth. Old Gator — who knows more about his home state than I do — mocked me on this point.

Old Gator may have been right to mock. Check out this interview of a Tropicana Field beer vendor by Rays Index. The upshot: concession workers were told by supervisors to wash and reuse discarded beer cups.

The hippie environmentalist in me thinks that the idea of reusing beer cups isn’t the worst thing in the world. Those things are pretty durable! It could work!

The realist in me, however, knows damn well that unless that re-using cups is an actual stated-policy, there is no way that they’re actually being sanitized in a manner that’s up to code.  I mean, last I checked, the beer stand doesn’t have an industrial dishwashers. If what this vendor is saying is true, you know that they’re just swishing these things out in the sink with a bit of Dawn and a dishrag.  At best.

So, yeah, there’s that.

1. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Surely beer is a disinfectant, right? It’s got alcohol!

2. mike wants wins - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Reminds of the days when the teams didn’t want their players to throw balls into the stands, since they were so expensive. But, if you are a first place team, and no one shows up to your games, you have to find clever ways to increase your margins…..Yuck.

3. YankeesfanLen - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM

There is no way this would be acceptable to ANY health code. Paper cups are not reusable even after wash, rinse, sanitize. They would be pulp after this anyway.
    Mayor Bloomberg is busy in the mayoral restroom puking his guts out and sending 350 Health Inspectors to Queens to collect $4,250,000 in fines.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

In my experience the cups are almost always plastic.

5. Spergler - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

When I was in college, I worked an event as a beer pourer. The guy who hired me was renting the space. His rent was based on the volume of his sales. The volume of sales was determined by the number of cups he used. So if we could reuse cups, rent was less. We made a lot of extra money that way. Sounds like Tampa has that going on, too, for some reason.

6. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Hey, once you have three or four, what do you care about sanitizing?

7. gk1272 - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:12 PM

That’s why I seek out the vendors that sell bottles at Yankee Stadium. Its worth the extra walk…

8. John_Michael - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Him: ‘Honey, I’m home!’
    Her: ‘Where have you been, buster?’
    Him: ‘At the Rays game with friends from work.’
    Her: ‘Then what’s that cold sore you’ve got? Have you been cheating on me?’
    Him: ‘No way, honey! It wasn’t that. Promise. They’re reusing beer cups at the Trop. And it’s not a cold sore. It’s a way us Rays Fans know who’s been going to the game. Sort of an enviornmentalist fan badge of courage.’

9. YankeesfanLen - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Yeah, they are. I was talking about the Golden Age.

10. malikjones2 - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM

YO bra, love that link u sent me http://sportscomplainer.com/mlb , i found one for you its sportspickle.com bye now

11. Ditto65 - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:39 PM

If you can afford three or four at the ballpark, you can probably afford the antibiotics, as well.

12. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Shtum. (giggle)

13. Ditto65 - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I thought the “Golden Age” was a myth?

14. Md23Rewls - Aug 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM

How are people supposed to take Tampa seriously when there’s stuff like this going on? They’re a first place (for the moment) team that doesn’t draw fans, their sanitary conditions are apparently nonexistent, and they hand out cowbells because otherwise there wouldn’t be crowd noise. This is really a major league team?

15. JBerardi - Aug 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Only in the standings.

16. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM

They should hand out vuvuzellas instead.

17. Md23Rewls - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Oh dear God. Don’t give them ideas. The cowbells are horrible enough.

18. Ick McWang - Aug 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM

christ, to think of how many beers i’ve drank at the Trop…
    eh, i’m not surprised at all, tbh i had a friend that worked a stand for a bit, once i bought a beer, he would refill mine for free when the boss wasn’t looking (toss a couple bucks in the tip jar, of course). that is nothing like re-using cups out of the garbage though, or off the floor after a game, washing them somehow, then putting them in the stack for the next day

19. Samira - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM

This series had at least one guy with a vuvuzela for two of the games. If not a vuvuzela, something equally as irritating. He and the cowbell guy(s) seemed to be in sync. Thankfully I’m not a Rays fan. I think I’d go postal if I had to listen to that crap for a quarter or more of my games.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3407)