Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 AM EDT
Last week we passed along the results of an ESPN study of health code violations in our nation’s ballparks. Tropicana Field fared particularly poorly in that study. At the time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because the Marlins fared poorly too and maybe the violation tallies were more a function of tougher health code enforcement in Florida than elsewhere as opposed to greater filth. Old Gator — who knows more about his home state than I do — mocked me on this point.
Old Gator may have been right to mock. Check out this interview of a Tropicana Field beer vendor by Rays Index. The upshot: concession workers were told by supervisors to wash and reuse discarded beer cups.
The hippie environmentalist in me thinks that the idea of reusing beer cups isn’t the worst thing in the world. Those things are pretty durable! It could work!
The realist in me, however, knows damn well that unless that re-using cups is an actual stated-policy, there is no way that they’re actually being sanitized in a manner that’s up to code. I mean, last I checked, the beer stand doesn’t have an industrial dishwashers. If what this vendor is saying is true, you know that they’re just swishing these things out in the sink with a bit of Dawn and a dishrag. At best.
So, yeah, there’s that.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)