Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 AM EST
Last week we passed along the results of an ESPN study of health code violations in our nation’s ballparks. Tropicana Field fared particularly poorly in that study. At the time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because the Marlins fared poorly too and maybe the violation tallies were more a function of tougher health code enforcement in Florida than elsewhere as opposed to greater filth. Old Gator — who knows more about his home state than I do — mocked me on this point.
Old Gator may have been right to mock. Check out this interview of a Tropicana Field beer vendor by Rays Index. The upshot: concession workers were told by supervisors to wash and reuse discarded beer cups.
The hippie environmentalist in me thinks that the idea of reusing beer cups isn’t the worst thing in the world. Those things are pretty durable! It could work!
The realist in me, however, knows damn well that unless that re-using cups is an actual stated-policy, there is no way that they’re actually being sanitized in a manner that’s up to code. I mean, last I checked, the beer stand doesn’t have an industrial dishwashers. If what this vendor is saying is true, you know that they’re just swishing these things out in the sink with a bit of Dawn and a dishrag. At best.
So, yeah, there’s that.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)