Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 AM EDT
Last week we passed along the results of an ESPN study of health code violations in our nation’s ballparks. Tropicana Field fared particularly poorly in that study. At the time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because the Marlins fared poorly too and maybe the violation tallies were more a function of tougher health code enforcement in Florida than elsewhere as opposed to greater filth. Old Gator — who knows more about his home state than I do — mocked me on this point.
Old Gator may have been right to mock. Check out this interview of a Tropicana Field beer vendor by Rays Index. The upshot: concession workers were told by supervisors to wash and reuse discarded beer cups.
The hippie environmentalist in me thinks that the idea of reusing beer cups isn’t the worst thing in the world. Those things are pretty durable! It could work!
The realist in me, however, knows damn well that unless that re-using cups is an actual stated-policy, there is no way that they’re actually being sanitized in a manner that’s up to code. I mean, last I checked, the beer stand doesn’t have an industrial dishwashers. If what this vendor is saying is true, you know that they’re just swishing these things out in the sink with a bit of Dawn and a dishrag. At best.
So, yeah, there’s that.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)