Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 AM EDT
Last week we passed along the results of an ESPN study of health code violations in our nation’s ballparks. Tropicana Field fared particularly poorly in that study. At the time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because the Marlins fared poorly too and maybe the violation tallies were more a function of tougher health code enforcement in Florida than elsewhere as opposed to greater filth. Old Gator — who knows more about his home state than I do — mocked me on this point.
Old Gator may have been right to mock. Check out this interview of a Tropicana Field beer vendor by Rays Index. The upshot: concession workers were told by supervisors to wash and reuse discarded beer cups.
The hippie environmentalist in me thinks that the idea of reusing beer cups isn’t the worst thing in the world. Those things are pretty durable! It could work!
The realist in me, however, knows damn well that unless that re-using cups is an actual stated-policy, there is no way that they’re actually being sanitized in a manner that’s up to code. I mean, last I checked, the beer stand doesn’t have an industrial dishwashers. If what this vendor is saying is true, you know that they’re just swishing these things out in the sink with a bit of Dawn and a dishrag. At best.
So, yeah, there’s that.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 11
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)