Zack Greinke is frustrated

Aug 5, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT

The future seems brighter for the Kansas City Royals lately, but their star pitcher is having a hard time seeing the light.

On a day when the Royals DFA’d Jose Guillen and in a week when they’ve done all manner of things right, Zack Greinke can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.  When asked about the prospects in the Royals’ system and the team’s seemingly bright future, Greinke waxed pessimistic to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.

“Every system has something. The biggest problem is I have
two more years on my contract. Are those guys supposed to make it up by
the beginning of next year? Very rarely do guys come straight into
the big leagues and make an impact, especially hitters. Just look at
the top prospects in baseball. Delmon Young was one five years ago, and
he’s finally starting to play well.

“Alex Gordon was one four
years ago, and he might be starting to play well now. So the problem
(with the Royals’ prospects) is that it’s not like as soon as they get
here that it’s going to be instant (success). Maybe by 2014. There’s no reason for me to get real excited about it, because the chance of more than one of them making a major impact by
the time my contract is up is pretty slim.”

Yikes. I understand his frustration — and I also appreciate his history with anxiety and wouldn’t be shocked if there was some depression history in there too — but this is not what you want to hear from your ace.

For what it’s worth, I think it’s possible that by 2012 the Royals will be pretty darn respectable. That’s the last year of Greinke’s current deal. If I’m right, I think Zack will be in a much happier place then than he is now.

1. randall351 - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Ruh ro..

2. ben s - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

You gotta hand it to Greinke, at least he knows his prospects. Not many MLB players do. Sounds like he wants out of KC, but with his anxiety problems, he might actually be one of the extremely, extremely rare players who can’t make it in New York or a big market.

3. John_Michael - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM

extremely rare players who can’t make it in New York
    You don’t read NYC papers, do you? Unless you’re Derek Jeter or Rudy Giuliani, the pressure is just too much for mere mortals to handle.

4. kpweaver27 - Aug 5, 2010 at 7:51 PM

It’s funny, Greinke, people said the same thing about you for a long time. When would he put it all together, realize his talents, etc. Now that you have, you’re critical of the organization that sheltered you and bided its time as your condition meant you couldn’t pitch. The Royals have given you your career, and now that you’re showing your own consistency the system isn’t working? Sad.

5. JBerardi - Aug 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Huh? How is it hypocritical of him to say that other prospects are going to have the same issues that he had? Sounds honest to me… not sure what your complaint is.

6. quint - Aug 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I didn’t read the comments as critical, more just resignation to the fact the Royals are going to be bad for the rest of his contract.

Orioles turn AL East on its head