Aug 5, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
On a day when the Royals DFA’d Jose Guillen and in a week when they’ve done all manner of things right, Zack Greinke can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. When asked about the prospects in the Royals’ system and the team’s seemingly bright future, Greinke waxed pessimistic to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
“Every system has something. The biggest problem is I have
two more years on my contract. Are those guys supposed to make it up by
the beginning of next year? Very rarely do guys come straight into
the big leagues and make an impact, especially hitters. Just look at
the top prospects in baseball. Delmon Young was one five years ago, and
he’s finally starting to play well.
“Alex Gordon was one four
years ago, and he might be starting to play well now. So the problem
(with the Royals’ prospects) is that it’s not like as soon as they get
here that it’s going to be instant (success). Maybe by 2014. There’s no reason for me to get real excited about it, because the chance of more than one of them making a major impact by
the time my contract is up is pretty slim.”
Yikes. I understand his frustration — and I also appreciate his history with anxiety and wouldn’t be shocked if there was some depression history in there too — but this is not what you want to hear from your ace.
For what it’s worth, I think it’s possible that by 2012 the Royals will be pretty darn respectable. That’s the last year of Greinke’s current deal. If I’m right, I think Zack will be in a much happier place then than he is now.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)