Aug 5, 2010, 4:50 PM EST
On a day when the Royals DFA’d Jose Guillen and in a week when they’ve done all manner of things right, Zack Greinke can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. When asked about the prospects in the Royals’ system and the team’s seemingly bright future, Greinke waxed pessimistic to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
“Every system has something. The biggest problem is I have
two more years on my contract. Are those guys supposed to make it up by
the beginning of next year? Very rarely do guys come straight into
the big leagues and make an impact, especially hitters. Just look at
the top prospects in baseball. Delmon Young was one five years ago, and
he’s finally starting to play well.
“Alex Gordon was one four
years ago, and he might be starting to play well now. So the problem
(with the Royals’ prospects) is that it’s not like as soon as they get
here that it’s going to be instant (success). Maybe by 2014. There’s no reason for me to get real excited about it, because the chance of more than one of them making a major impact by
the time my contract is up is pretty slim.”
Yikes. I understand his frustration — and I also appreciate his history with anxiety and wouldn’t be shocked if there was some depression history in there too — but this is not what you want to hear from your ace.
For what it’s worth, I think it’s possible that by 2012 the Royals will be pretty darn respectable. That’s the last year of Greinke’s current deal. If I’m right, I think Zack will be in a much happier place then than he is now.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)