Aug 5, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
On a day when the Royals DFA’d Jose Guillen and in a week when they’ve done all manner of things right, Zack Greinke can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. When asked about the prospects in the Royals’ system and the team’s seemingly bright future, Greinke waxed pessimistic to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
“Every system has something. The biggest problem is I have
two more years on my contract. Are those guys supposed to make it up by
the beginning of next year? Very rarely do guys come straight into
the big leagues and make an impact, especially hitters. Just look at
the top prospects in baseball. Delmon Young was one five years ago, and
he’s finally starting to play well.
“Alex Gordon was one four
years ago, and he might be starting to play well now. So the problem
(with the Royals’ prospects) is that it’s not like as soon as they get
here that it’s going to be instant (success). Maybe by 2014. There’s no reason for me to get real excited about it, because the chance of more than one of them making a major impact by
the time my contract is up is pretty slim.”
Yikes. I understand his frustration — and I also appreciate his history with anxiety and wouldn’t be shocked if there was some depression history in there too — but this is not what you want to hear from your ace.
For what it’s worth, I think it’s possible that by 2012 the Royals will be pretty darn respectable. That’s the last year of Greinke’s current deal. If I’m right, I think Zack will be in a much happier place then than he is now.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)