Aug 6, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
The Astros have promoted prospect right-hander Jordan Lyles to Triple-A Round Rock, according to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle.
Lyles, a former supplementary first-round pick in 2008, has a 3.36 ERA over parts of three seasons in the minors, including a 3.12 ERA and 115/35 K/BB over 21 outings with Double-A Corpus Christi this season. He was ranked as the organization’s top pitching prospect by Baseball America this winter and cracked the publication’s top 50 overall prospects in last month’s midseason list.
Astros general manager Ed Wade hedged when asked if Lyles could pitch in the major leagues as soon as this season.
“There’s always a chance,” Wade said. “In a perfect world, we don’t have
any more need for starting pitching at the big league level. I’d just
like to see him go out every fifth day whether it’s here or AAA or the
big leagues, and just take the same approach.”
I think it would be needlessly aggressive to promote Lyles to the majors this season, especially because he will reach a career-high in innings pitched sometime in his next four starts, but be sure to file this name away for next season.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)