Aug 6, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
The Astros have promoted prospect right-hander Jordan Lyles to Triple-A Round Rock, according to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle.
Lyles, a former supplementary first-round pick in 2008, has a 3.36 ERA over parts of three seasons in the minors, including a 3.12 ERA and 115/35 K/BB over 21 outings with Double-A Corpus Christi this season. He was ranked as the organization’s top pitching prospect by Baseball America this winter and cracked the publication’s top 50 overall prospects in last month’s midseason list.
Astros general manager Ed Wade hedged when asked if Lyles could pitch in the major leagues as soon as this season.
“There’s always a chance,” Wade said. “In a perfect world, we don’t have
any more need for starting pitching at the big league level. I’d just
like to see him go out every fifth day whether it’s here or AAA or the
big leagues, and just take the same approach.”
I think it would be needlessly aggressive to promote Lyles to the majors this season, especially because he will reach a career-high in innings pitched sometime in his next four starts, but be sure to file this name away for next season.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)