Aug 6, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
The Astros have promoted prospect right-hander Jordan Lyles to Triple-A Round Rock, according to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle.
Lyles, a former supplementary first-round pick in 2008, has a 3.36 ERA over parts of three seasons in the minors, including a 3.12 ERA and 115/35 K/BB over 21 outings with Double-A Corpus Christi this season. He was ranked as the organization’s top pitching prospect by Baseball America this winter and cracked the publication’s top 50 overall prospects in last month’s midseason list.
Astros general manager Ed Wade hedged when asked if Lyles could pitch in the major leagues as soon as this season.
“There’s always a chance,” Wade said. “In a perfect world, we don’t have
any more need for starting pitching at the big league level. I’d just
like to see him go out every fifth day whether it’s here or AAA or the
big leagues, and just take the same approach.”
I think it would be needlessly aggressive to promote Lyles to the majors this season, especially because he will reach a career-high in innings pitched sometime in his next four starts, but be sure to file this name away for next season.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)