Aug 6, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
The Astros have promoted prospect right-hander Jordan Lyles to Triple-A Round Rock, according to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle.
Lyles, a former supplementary first-round pick in 2008, has a 3.36 ERA over parts of three seasons in the minors, including a 3.12 ERA and 115/35 K/BB over 21 outings with Double-A Corpus Christi this season. He was ranked as the organization’s top pitching prospect by Baseball America this winter and cracked the publication’s top 50 overall prospects in last month’s midseason list.
Astros general manager Ed Wade hedged when asked if Lyles could pitch in the major leagues as soon as this season.
“There’s always a chance,” Wade said. “In a perfect world, we don’t have
any more need for starting pitching at the big league level. I’d just
like to see him go out every fifth day whether it’s here or AAA or the
big leagues, and just take the same approach.”
I think it would be needlessly aggressive to promote Lyles to the majors this season, especially because he will reach a career-high in innings pitched sometime in his next four starts, but be sure to file this name away for next season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)