Behold: the outfield catch of the decade

Aug 6, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT

The best video you'll see today: If you look closely you can see the wires holding up the centerfielder for the Hiroshima Carp.

I have no idea when this happened, but it’s blowing up all over the web this morning, so I assume it was recently.  It certainly beats the time Ivan Calderon climbed up on the wall at Tiger Stadium back in the late 80s in that this guy here doesn’t look like he was laboring against a big dinner and some beers and stuff.

1. The Real Shuxion - Aug 6, 2010 at 9:19 AM

They have more fans there than at an average Pirates game.

2. nps6724 - Aug 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Pfft. Seen it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110442/

3. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Okay, before looking too deeply into this, the catch itself looks identical to the spectacular catch made by a Japanese outfielder something like thirty or forty years ago, pictures of which have been mounted in the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for ages. Add to that the context: a spectacular catch by a Hiroshima Carp outfielder on the 65th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, and the apparent original net version of this video accompanied by the description “Spider Man Catch” with the subtext that Peter Parker had been bitten by a radioactive spider. Well, maybe synchronicity locks in bigtime here and a Carp outfielder really did make that catch yesterday, but this smells a little odd to me, folks. I think I’ll just take the ferry over to Miyajima for some roasted giant oysters and think this one over.

4. Flup - Aug 6, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Damn, you are in academia, aren’t you?

5. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Nope, I’m in Macondo.
    And this “catch” still smells feeshy to me.

6. Jonny5 - Aug 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Like the ball girl who did this that everyone thought was real, but was really made for a commercial? That type of fishy? Or is it the Marlins you’re smelling? ;>P

7. Jonny5 - Aug 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I wonder if he know Kung Fu like this dude? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYBEJzy-F0&feature=related

8. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Whereas the Feesh did indeed stink it up for the past three days, I think this “spectacular catch” is a digitized reconfabulation of the decades-old catch already on display at Cooperstown, popping up yesterday as a sick Hiroshima bombing anniversary joke. Not that I don’t find the bombing as excruciatingly funny as any other garden variety Sarah Palin supporter.
    I also went onto the HOF web site to see if I could find that famous photo of the Japanese outfielder making that incredible catch of yore, but I discovered that the HOF web site is as useless as tits on a juvenile barramundi, and today I have too Buddhadamned much to do to pull my Japanese baseball histories down off the shelf in my library and dig for it. If no one else has blown the whistle on this thing by tonight, I might find some time to go after it.

9. JBerardi - Aug 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I’m with Gator. I want independent confirmation that this actually happened.

10. Will - Aug 6, 2010 at 12:45 PM

From the video description (uploaded Aug. 4):
    The reigning unbelievable wall leap of the moment goes to Hiroshima Toyo Carp’s Masato Akamatsu, who turned in this unbelievable Spider-Man impression while robbing Yokohoma’s Shuichi Murata of a home run.
    This is from last night’s Yokohama BayStars/Hiroshima Carp game.

And here’s a box score. Key quote: Akamatsu (HIR) made a great catch in the 5th when he stole a no-doubter home run to left-center off Murata’s (YOK) bat. Akamatsu literally climbed the wall and caught the ball.
    I can understand being skeptical of the video, but that took me about five seconds of googling.

11. Will - Aug 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Oh, my sides, they are splitting with mirth. Why must you introduce your garden variety political trolling into these threads?

12. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM

My garden variety political trolling needs no introduction. It’s well known around these parts.

13. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 1:48 PM

It’s not the video of which I was skeptical per se. As I mentioned, there’s a photo and, at least, there used to be a short film loop playing at Cooperstown showing a nearly identical catch three or four decades ago. The physical act of making that leap, leveraging the wall and snagging that ball, however remarkable, is preeminently possible and has been documented.
    What bothered me was precisely the similarity between this catch and the earlier one, and the coincidence of it happening in Hiroshima on the anniversary of the atomic bombing – combined with the allusions to Peter Parker’s radioactive spider.
    I allow as such a similarity would be possible, of course. I think I may have to haul out my weatherbeaten old copy of C. G. Jung’s Synchronicity and blow the dust off of it, and spend the rest of my day lounging out back in the gazebo, watching the alpha anoles perform territorial displays on the bamboo railing while refreshing my familiarity with that Swiss quack’s theory of meaningful coincidence, and refreshing my gross corporeal form with some freshly made carambola coladas.

14. Will - Aug 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Fair enough, if you want to attach some further metaphysical meaning to the coincidence, that’s your lookout. I’m pretty convinced that it is nothing more than it appears: an outstanding catch that robbed a homerun.
    Some further googling has revealed that Mr. Akamatsu has a blog, and is selling a pretty groovy t-shirt commemorating the catch.

15. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM

It’s not “metaphysics,” it’s Jung, which is to metaphysics what melodrama is to pathos, or, say, what creationism is to science.
    But I think in this age of socialist realism, it’s also fair to say that neither metaphysics, pathos nor science can move as quickly as astute marketing.

16. matt - Aug 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM

why are the names on the jerseys in english?

17. AndyII - Aug 8, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Awesome, give him 5 years and $50 million!

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3012)