Aug 6, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT
Is it just me, or have there been an abnormal amount of head injuries lately?
Carlos Gomez is just one of the latest victims. He was hit in the helmet by a pitch from Cubs right-hander Brian Schlitter on Monday night. After being held out of the lineup for the past two games, the Brewers placed Gomez on the disabled list Friday with a concussion, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
Gomez was scheduled to undergo testing Thursday to evaluate whether he was ready to return to the lineup, so it sounds like the Brewers are playing it safe here. As they should.
All Brewers fans surely wish Gomez the best, but one interesting wrinkle is that 24-year-old outfielder Lorenzo Cain will replace him on the 25-man roster. Gomez’s struggles combined with a resurgent season for Cain with Triple-A Nashville have many wondering who the center fielder of the future will be. Cain only managed five at-bats during a brief three-game stint with the club last month, but he should get a long look now.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)