Aug 6, 2010, 1:37 PM EST
Is it just me, or have there been an abnormal amount of head injuries lately?
Carlos Gomez is just one of the latest victims. He was hit in the helmet by a pitch from Cubs right-hander Brian Schlitter on Monday night. After being held out of the lineup for the past two games, the Brewers placed Gomez on the disabled list Friday with a concussion, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
Gomez was scheduled to undergo testing Thursday to evaluate whether he was ready to return to the lineup, so it sounds like the Brewers are playing it safe here. As they should.
All Brewers fans surely wish Gomez the best, but one interesting wrinkle is that 24-year-old outfielder Lorenzo Cain will replace him on the 25-man roster. Gomez’s struggles combined with a resurgent season for Cain with Triple-A Nashville have many wondering who the center fielder of the future will be. Cain only managed five at-bats during a brief three-game stint with the club last month, but he should get a long look now.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)