Aug 6, 2010, 1:37 PM EST
Is it just me, or have there been an abnormal amount of head injuries lately?
Carlos Gomez is just one of the latest victims. He was hit in the helmet by a pitch from Cubs right-hander Brian Schlitter on Monday night. After being held out of the lineup for the past two games, the Brewers placed Gomez on the disabled list Friday with a concussion, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
Gomez was scheduled to undergo testing Thursday to evaluate whether he was ready to return to the lineup, so it sounds like the Brewers are playing it safe here. As they should.
All Brewers fans surely wish Gomez the best, but one interesting wrinkle is that 24-year-old outfielder Lorenzo Cain will replace him on the 25-man roster. Gomez’s struggles combined with a resurgent season for Cain with Triple-A Nashville have many wondering who the center fielder of the future will be. Cain only managed five at-bats during a brief three-game stint with the club last month, but he should get a long look now.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)