Fan dies on the field at Dodger Stadium

Aug 6, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT

Well this is awful:

A baseball fan participating in Mormon
Community Night at Dodger Stadium has died after collapsing on the field
during batting practice.

Officials
say Don Hawkins was standing near the third-base coach’s box Thursday
night when he fell ill. He was one of about 4,000 Mormons on hand for
the annual event, which included his wife and grandson.

Hawkins was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital at after paramedics performed CPR, but was pronounced dead.

I thought I read on Twitter last night that Hawkins was actually one of the events organizers if not the head organizer of the whole event, but I can’t find reference to it at the moment. Not that it matters I guess.

As a Mormon I’m sure Mr. Hawkins would not approve of the language, but it doesn’t change the fact that this is a damn shame.

1. Buccofan - Aug 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM

If I were a Dodger fan and had to die suddenly, I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be when it happened.
    Condolences to his family. At least it wasn’t a prolonged decline before he passed.

2. Jonny5 - Aug 6, 2010 at 4:29 PM

He heard Adam Dunn was possibly coming to LA. That’s what did it.

3. The Rabbit - Aug 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM

@Buccofan Agree on all points…
    @Craig (I’ll really try to word this without insulting anyone….and no, I’m not Mormon.) If you’ve ever been to a Mormon funeral, it’s very unlike those of other religious faiths that I have attended. They actually believe that the recently departed has been called “home” and is in a better place. Although there may be some sadness, there’s not an overabundance of mourning.

4. kyle s - Aug 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM

wow, the mormons are really taking this prop 8 thing hard

5. The Rabbit - Aug 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM

LOL…That thought crossed my mind, too.

6. Spokes - Aug 8, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Thanks for bringing this up, Craig. I was pretty shocked at the lack of reaction that this story received. If he had fallen out of a seating deck, it would be all over the news. But I guess someone dying on the field just isn’t that important. How’s Brett Favre’s ankle?
    Anyway, I was at the game and while I didn’t see him fall ill at the exact moment, I watched as the EMTs worked on him for about 20 minutes. I took some pictures. It felt kind of tacky, but I have never seen anyone die in front of me before. And yes, he was dead by the time they loaded him into the ambulance.
    He was the head of the 4,000-person Mormon group attending Mormon Community Night at the stadium. He was actually scheduled to throw out the first pitch. And 30 minutes prior, he’s dead.
    This just in: Life is crazy.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act