Aug 6, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
A baseball fan participating in Mormon
Community Night at Dodger Stadium has died after collapsing on the field
during batting practice.
say Don Hawkins was standing near the third-base coach’s box Thursday
night when he fell ill. He was one of about 4,000 Mormons on hand for
the annual event, which included his wife and grandson.
Hawkins was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital at after paramedics performed CPR, but was pronounced dead.
I thought I read on Twitter last night that Hawkins was actually one of the events organizers if not the head organizer of the whole event, but I can’t find reference to it at the moment. Not that it matters I guess.
As a Mormon I’m sure Mr. Hawkins would not approve of the language, but it doesn’t change the fact that this is a damn shame.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)