Aug 6, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
A baseball fan participating in Mormon
Community Night at Dodger Stadium has died after collapsing on the field
during batting practice.
say Don Hawkins was standing near the third-base coach’s box Thursday
night when he fell ill. He was one of about 4,000 Mormons on hand for
the annual event, which included his wife and grandson.
Hawkins was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital at after paramedics performed CPR, but was pronounced dead.
I thought I read on Twitter last night that Hawkins was actually one of the events organizers if not the head organizer of the whole event, but I can’t find reference to it at the moment. Not that it matters I guess.
As a Mormon I’m sure Mr. Hawkins would not approve of the language, but it doesn’t change the fact that this is a damn shame.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (101)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)