Aug 6, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
A baseball fan participating in Mormon
Community Night at Dodger Stadium has died after collapsing on the field
during batting practice.
say Don Hawkins was standing near the third-base coach’s box Thursday
night when he fell ill. He was one of about 4,000 Mormons on hand for
the annual event, which included his wife and grandson.
Hawkins was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital at after paramedics performed CPR, but was pronounced dead.
I thought I read on Twitter last night that Hawkins was actually one of the events organizers if not the head organizer of the whole event, but I can’t find reference to it at the moment. Not that it matters I guess.
As a Mormon I’m sure Mr. Hawkins would not approve of the language, but it doesn’t change the fact that this is a damn shame.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (212)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)