Jose Guillen has some potential suitors in the Yankees, Giants

Aug 6, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT

Jose Guillen is one of the many, many guys who wouldn’t be nearly as maligned as he is if it weren’t for his contract.  I mean, no, he’s no great shakes, but if he was doing one year deals for reasonable money every winter no one would be saying bad things about him. Well, not many bad things about him. He’s been useful at times, and I kinda feel bad when people go after guys like him simply because Dayton Moore decided to overpay him. Even when I do it, which I’m sure I have before.

Anyway, the point of all of this is that, assuming no one makes a deal for him in the next nine days, some team is going to be able to sign him for peanuts after the Royals release him. I had half a thought yesterday that Atlanta might be one of those teams because they could still use an outfield bat. I think Frank Wren knows, however, that he’ll lose the entire fan base if he trots out 2/3 of the 2010 Kansas City Royals’ outfield in the middle of a pennant race. The messaging is just wrong, ya know?

But the Yankees and Giants don’t seem to mind: each of them is reported to be at least somewhat interested in the guy. Which is a bit funny because (a) the Yankees have brought in something like 248 extra position players in the past week, so I’m not sure whose place Guillen would take; and (b) the Giants are already running Pat Burrell out to left field, so why would they want to add another frequently-gimpy and none-too-fabulous outfielder?

But the point is made: without the $12 million albatross hanging around his neck, Guillen is at least moderately desirable and could very well wind up with his 10th team sometime this month.

1. YankeesfanLen - Aug 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Listen, this is real simple: I don’t want the Yankees to bring in any more washed up position players.
    I just don’t……no…..[reaches for smelling salts]

2. BC - Aug 6, 2010 at 11:16 AM

The Yankees bringing this guy in would be like the Knicks of a few years ago, when they had like 7 power forwards. The Yankees will have like 11 outfielders. Where the heck will they all play?

3. John_Michael - Aug 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Maybe he can pitch the 8th?

4. JBerardi - Aug 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Do the Yankees have extra roster spots I’m not aware of? Is that the real secret to their success?

5. Al - Aug 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM

The Giants are known to bring in washed up players. I would expect him to be in AT&T and ruin the Giant’s team chemistry.

6. Pisano - Aug 7, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Why not add this bum to the last bum, (Berkman) talk about a guy that’s lost , Berkman ought to be sent back to Huston , the guys washed up . Please no more retreads .

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4037)