Pablo Sandoval needs to get back to Camp Panda

Aug 6, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT

Andrew Baggarly thinks that Pablo Sandoval’s biggest problem this year is his conditioning:

I’ve noticed in recent weeks that Sandoval has lost a step from last
season. Some time toward the end of the last homestand, he got thrown
out trying to stretch a single into a double. It would’ve been an easy
double for him a year ago, I thought.

I’ve seen him after taking ground balls at third base, even in cool weather. He’s got his hands on his knees, gasping.

Of all the speculated reasons for his severe dropoff at the plate
this year, I think conditioning is the simplest and most logical one.
It’s alarming when a 23-year-old kid is already losing a step in the
field.

I couldn’t tell last night if Sandoval’s failure to move over to third on Tim Lincecum’s bunt last night was a mental error or a physical one, but the guy does seem off this season.  And obviously he doesn’t appear to be in great shape.  Baggarly, obviously, would know better, having watched him nearly every day for the past six months.

I like the Panda, though, and I hope that he takes his conditioning more seriously going forward. Because I liked Kevin Mitchell and Dmitri Young too, and those dudes ate their way out of the league.

1. Alex K - Aug 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM

But they didn’t start doing it at 23….

2. Alex K - Aug 6, 2010 at 2:23 PM

What I should have said – They didn’t start slowing down this much by 23…..

3. Jonny5 - Aug 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I like him too, but if he doesn’t stop getting fatter, he’s finished. Along with that Phat MLB salary.

4. APBA Guy - Aug 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM

All too true. We noticed his increased weight shortly after the season began, and this after the Spring hype about his nutrition and conditioning. His numbers show the results of his conditioning.

5. onemilemore - Aug 6, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I actually yelled at the TV last night when Panda didn’t make it to third on that bunt, telling him to lose some weight. He could easily carry this franchise, and I honestly fault the Giants’ management for not getting on him about his conditioning. He’s a third baseman, not an offensive lineman.
    And speaking of conditioning, why does Lincecum always wilt in the heat? Another young guy who may need to step up the training in the off-season…

6. walk - Aug 6, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Anyone else notice timmy slumped some after his hair got trimmed? Samsonesque really.

7. MerkleBoner - Aug 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM

What Andrew Baggarly doesn’t want to mention too often as a beat reporter but could have similar mental effects on a player is that Pablo is a 23 year old going through a divorce, pretty heavy stuff for a guy so young. He actually had to miss some games a few weeks back so that he could go to Venezuela and deal with it. Being 21 years old myself I think it would be pretty hard to focus day in and day out in that situation.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3287)