Aug 6, 2010, 8:25 AM EST
“I was right on top of it, and it was wide of the bag. What the ball did when it went past me is irrelevant . . . I understand
that’s the winning run, but in my opinion it was foul.”
– Bob Davidson, third base umpire in last night’s Phillies-Rays game, not letting anything get in the way of his opinion.
And Davidson is right to say that where the ball is after it passes the bag doesn’t matter. It’s just that based on repeated viewings of the play in question, I can’t see how anyone can say the ball wasn’t fair when it passed the bag. It bounced fair in front of the bag. It bounced fair behind the bag. Unless it took a left turn and then an immediate right, I’m not sure how it could have ever been foul.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27