Red Sox owner: "we need a miracle"

Aug 6, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT

FanHouse’s Tom Krasovic — who’s in pretty entertaining form today — spoke with Red Sox owner John Henry via email today about the state of the Sox. The verdict: Not too good:

“At this point we’ll need another miracle. This team, healthy, is capable . . . However, the injuries we have had have been almost astonishing. I didn’t
think 2006 would ever be replicated. But injuries are a major part of
sports.”

As is tough competition. It’s easy to forget what with nothing but bad news coming out of Boston lately, but if they were in any other division their 62-47 record would have them in or near first place. But that’s just not good enough in the AL East.  Not that any of us — particularly those of us who live in Toronto or Baltimore — have any sympathy whatsoever.

It’s baseball, dudes. It happens.

1. YankeesfanLen - Aug 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I’m not predicting this weekend’s results (who knows, Girardi may put the FAT TOAD in for 3 inning relief) but when an owner with a funny hat plays the injury card and has Carlos Delgado for a look-see, I’ll take my chances.

2. YankeesfanLen - Aug 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Changed my mind. Universe sweeps.

3. Ditto65 - Aug 6, 2010 at 5:44 PM

LOL

4. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM

This series definitely doesn’t have that high-voltage crackle of animosity and derision to it. It’s a bit like the drooling voyeurism that you’d find for the supporting bill at the Roman coliseum, where they throw the cripples to the lions during the midweek shows while the gladiators are tuning up on the other side of town for the Friday night fights. Even so, as Len demonstrates, the Borg boosters still have that lean and hungry look about them as the moonlighting Centurion security guys force the Beanbags out of their cells and onto the coliseum ground, and all the thumbs start turning down in advance, like a stadium full of Pestilence stringers. Let the travesties begin!

5. naz - Aug 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM

try spending some money skeleton man

6. Ditto65 - Aug 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM

If I remember correctly, Delgado’s nickname in high school was “Miracle”.

7. Ditto65 - Aug 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I thought the thumbs down sign was the opposite of its present day meaning during the Gladitorial period of the Roman Empire. Either that, or a double steal?

8. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM

And so saying, of course, the Beanbags go out and schlonk the Borg, who played more like the Feesh tonight. Or no, the Feesh actually played more like themselves tonight than the Borg played like the Feesh, but the Borg and the Feesh each looked much like….oh, never mind. Bad night all around.

9. Old Gator - Aug 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I need a miracle every day. I need a miracle every day. I need….
    Well, maybe the Beanbags should hold a Jerry Garcia night as well.

10. Old Gator - Aug 7, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Is your handle a Lord Buckley reference, just out of curiosity?

11. John_Michael - Aug 7, 2010 at 8:10 AM

You can’t just have a miracle. What’s the fun in ‘Well, things just turned out ok in the end.’ You need something to attribute the miracle to. That way you can market the bejesus out of it.
    From thinkexist.com:
    ‘Jeff Loria in Houston (two weeks ago) came up to me and said, ‘Don’t pay attention to what you heard on the news last night.’ He said, ‘You’re not going anywhere.’ That’s what he told me to my face. So that’s what I’ve got to go on.’ — Carlos Delgado
    So, maybe he’s not the miracle they’re looking for. But they would sell a handful of Delgado jerseys. So there’s that.

12. John_Michael - Aug 7, 2010 at 8:57 AM

That quote is probably about the possibility of getting traded. But it reads much funnier if you read it as if Loria was giving Delgado career advice.

13. Old Gator - Aug 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM

As I recall, that was a few weeks before the Feesh traded Delgado to the Mets. Delgado learned the same important lesson about Scrooge McLoria that Feesh fans learned when Loria promised after the 2003 championship that “there will be no (emphasis his) dismantling,” namely, that you can’t trust the impecunious little putz as far as you can throw him.

14. Pisano - Aug 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM

“You need something to attribute the miracle to ” Yeah , the last miracle they had was attributed to roids , not gonna happen again, sorry .

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4009)