Aug 6, 2010, 2:19 PM EST
This is really no surprise given how smoothly the Rangers’ season has gone, but the Rangers made it official: Ron Washington, whose contract was set to expire after the season, will be back for 2011. The details will come later.
How many people would have guessed we’d be saying this back in March when it was revealed that he had tested positive for cocaine last year? At the time most people wouldn’t have bet a bucket of warm spit that Washington would make it beyond 2010. Of course, a lot of that had to do with it being March, and people jump to all kinds of crazy, moralistic conclusions about such matters when there are no real baseball games going on.
The most important thing in baseball remains winning. Ron Washington has the Rangers winning, and he’s done so in a season when a lot of people wouldn’t have been surprised if off the field events distracted them. And for that he is being justly rewarded.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)