Aug 6, 2010, 2:19 PM EST
This is really no surprise given how smoothly the Rangers’ season has gone, but the Rangers made it official: Ron Washington, whose contract was set to expire after the season, will be back for 2011. The details will come later.
How many people would have guessed we’d be saying this back in March when it was revealed that he had tested positive for cocaine last year? At the time most people wouldn’t have bet a bucket of warm spit that Washington would make it beyond 2010. Of course, a lot of that had to do with it being March, and people jump to all kinds of crazy, moralistic conclusions about such matters when there are no real baseball games going on.
The most important thing in baseball remains winning. Ron Washington has the Rangers winning, and he’s done so in a season when a lot of people wouldn’t have been surprised if off the field events distracted them. And for that he is being justly rewarded.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 70
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)