Aug 6, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
This is really no surprise given how smoothly the Rangers’ season has gone, but the Rangers made it official: Ron Washington, whose contract was set to expire after the season, will be back for 2011. The details will come later.
How many people would have guessed we’d be saying this back in March when it was revealed that he had tested positive for cocaine last year? At the time most people wouldn’t have bet a bucket of warm spit that Washington would make it beyond 2010. Of course, a lot of that had to do with it being March, and people jump to all kinds of crazy, moralistic conclusions about such matters when there are no real baseball games going on.
The most important thing in baseball remains winning. Ron Washington has the Rangers winning, and he’s done so in a season when a lot of people wouldn’t have been surprised if off the field events distracted them. And for that he is being justly rewarded.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 31
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 51
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)