Aug 6, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
This is really no surprise given how smoothly the Rangers’ season has gone, but the Rangers made it official: Ron Washington, whose contract was set to expire after the season, will be back for 2011. The details will come later.
How many people would have guessed we’d be saying this back in March when it was revealed that he had tested positive for cocaine last year? At the time most people wouldn’t have bet a bucket of warm spit that Washington would make it beyond 2010. Of course, a lot of that had to do with it being March, and people jump to all kinds of crazy, moralistic conclusions about such matters when there are no real baseball games going on.
The most important thing in baseball remains winning. Ron Washington has the Rangers winning, and he’s done so in a season when a lot of people wouldn’t have been surprised if off the field events distracted them. And for that he is being justly rewarded.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)