Aug 6, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt has a case of dead arm. Matt Gleb breaks it down a bit and notes that Oswalt has been using his curveball and slider a bit more to compensate for the a lack of velocity.
Not that you’d know it from looking at last night’s box score. Oswalt gave up two runs, but both of them were still on base when he left, so the Philly bullpen should take some of that blame. He struck out five but walked four, so I guess he wasn’t terribly sharp (I didn’t tune into the game until after he had been pulled).
It’s been a pretty crazy couple of weeks for Oswalt, first as the subject of intense speculation and then moving from a going nowhere Astros team that was the only baseball home he’s ever known to an east coast pennant race. My guess: dude’s gonna be just fine.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)