Aug 6, 2010, 9:33 AM EDT
Cardinals’ third baseman David Freese is out for the rest of the season due to an ankle injury, so St. Louis would like some infield help. A possible target: Andy LaRoche. That according to Rob Biertempfer of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
I know LaRoche’s stock has fallen quite a bit since his days as a prospect, but I’d have a hard time seeing him clear waivers. He’s still cheap and is a year removed from a season that, while nothing spectacular, shows that he could probably be a serviceable infielder for a non-contender (i.e. every team who has waiver claim priority over the Cardinals).
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 120
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (120)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)