Aug 6, 2010, 9:33 AM EDT
Cardinals’ third baseman David Freese is out for the rest of the season due to an ankle injury, so St. Louis would like some infield help. A possible target: Andy LaRoche. That according to Rob Biertempfer of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
I know LaRoche’s stock has fallen quite a bit since his days as a prospect, but I’d have a hard time seeing him clear waivers. He’s still cheap and is a year removed from a season that, while nothing spectacular, shows that he could probably be a serviceable infielder for a non-contender (i.e. every team who has waiver claim priority over the Cardinals).
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 33
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 18
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)