Aug 6, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
Buster Olney says that the Royals were telling teams before the trade deadline that they’d listen to offers for the frustrated Zack Greinke. Obviously any offer for him would have to have been out-of-this-world, but their ears were on. Olney thinks that their ears may be even more on come this winter.
If the Royals’ assessment of when their bevy of prospects will be ready matches Greinke’s pessimistic take from yesterday — 2014 — they may well be wise to shop him. He’ll still be under control for two years and will still be an elite pitcher, and those sorts of commodities don’t come on the market that often. A smart trade of Zack Greinke — which is no given in light of the man doing the trading in Kansas City — could be the closest thing to a Herschel Walker deal we’ll ever see in baseball. It could really set the Royals up for the future.
If the Royals are more optimistic, however, and think that some of that top talent will debut next year and play all season in 2012, well, then it may be worth keeping Greinke around for a run that year or, more realistically, for a nice hope-building season that may convince him to stick around after his deal is up.
Either way, you can expect Dayton Moore to get a bunch of inquiries on the guy because, really, who wouldn’t want him?
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)