Aug 6, 2010, 9:58 AM EST
Buster Olney says that the Royals were telling teams before the trade deadline that they’d listen to offers for the frustrated Zack Greinke. Obviously any offer for him would have to have been out-of-this-world, but their ears were on. Olney thinks that their ears may be even more on come this winter.
If the Royals’ assessment of when their bevy of prospects will be ready matches Greinke’s pessimistic take from yesterday — 2014 — they may well be wise to shop him. He’ll still be under control for two years and will still be an elite pitcher, and those sorts of commodities don’t come on the market that often. A smart trade of Zack Greinke — which is no given in light of the man doing the trading in Kansas City — could be the closest thing to a Herschel Walker deal we’ll ever see in baseball. It could really set the Royals up for the future.
If the Royals are more optimistic, however, and think that some of that top talent will debut next year and play all season in 2012, well, then it may be worth keeping Greinke around for a run that year or, more realistically, for a nice hope-building season that may convince him to stick around after his deal is up.
Either way, you can expect Dayton Moore to get a bunch of inquiries on the guy because, really, who wouldn’t want him?
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (116)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)