Aug 6, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
Buster Olney says that the Royals were telling teams before the trade deadline that they’d listen to offers for the frustrated Zack Greinke. Obviously any offer for him would have to have been out-of-this-world, but their ears were on. Olney thinks that their ears may be even more on come this winter.
If the Royals’ assessment of when their bevy of prospects will be ready matches Greinke’s pessimistic take from yesterday — 2014 — they may well be wise to shop him. He’ll still be under control for two years and will still be an elite pitcher, and those sorts of commodities don’t come on the market that often. A smart trade of Zack Greinke — which is no given in light of the man doing the trading in Kansas City — could be the closest thing to a Herschel Walker deal we’ll ever see in baseball. It could really set the Royals up for the future.
If the Royals are more optimistic, however, and think that some of that top talent will debut next year and play all season in 2012, well, then it may be worth keeping Greinke around for a run that year or, more realistically, for a nice hope-building season that may convince him to stick around after his deal is up.
Either way, you can expect Dayton Moore to get a bunch of inquiries on the guy because, really, who wouldn’t want him?
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 4
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 18
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)