Aug 6, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
Buster Olney says that the Royals were telling teams before the trade deadline that they’d listen to offers for the frustrated Zack Greinke. Obviously any offer for him would have to have been out-of-this-world, but their ears were on. Olney thinks that their ears may be even more on come this winter.
If the Royals’ assessment of when their bevy of prospects will be ready matches Greinke’s pessimistic take from yesterday — 2014 — they may well be wise to shop him. He’ll still be under control for two years and will still be an elite pitcher, and those sorts of commodities don’t come on the market that often. A smart trade of Zack Greinke — which is no given in light of the man doing the trading in Kansas City — could be the closest thing to a Herschel Walker deal we’ll ever see in baseball. It could really set the Royals up for the future.
If the Royals are more optimistic, however, and think that some of that top talent will debut next year and play all season in 2012, well, then it may be worth keeping Greinke around for a run that year or, more realistically, for a nice hope-building season that may convince him to stick around after his deal is up.
Either way, you can expect Dayton Moore to get a bunch of inquiries on the guy because, really, who wouldn’t want him?
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)