Aug 6, 2010, 8:34 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt, Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press reported Friday that the Tigers will bring back manager Jim Leyland and GM Dave Dombrowski for the 2011 season.
The Tigers were 10 games above .500 at this year’s All-Star break and just one game behind the Twins for first place in the American League Central. Now they’re two games under .500 with a nine-game deficit in the AL Central and barely a hint of hope of making the postseason. Still, Tigers owner Mike Ilitch likes what the club has going.
“(This season) is very disappointing, “Ilitch told the Free Press on Friday, “(but) I’m staying
with Dave and I’m staying with our manager. I feel that we’re going to
Seems like the right move. If Rick Porcello manages to bounce back next season and Miguel Cabrera continues to rake, there’s reason for optimism in Detroit. Brennan Boesch looks like a nice, young player and 23-year-old Austin Jackson has played admirably in his first big league season. Of course, there are question marks. Will Johnny Damon be brought back? And how about Magglio Ordonez? It should be an interesting winter.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (188)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)