Aug 6, 2010, 8:34 PM EST
In case there was any doubt, Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press reported Friday that the Tigers will bring back manager Jim Leyland and GM Dave Dombrowski for the 2011 season.
The Tigers were 10 games above .500 at this year’s All-Star break and just one game behind the Twins for first place in the American League Central. Now they’re two games under .500 with a nine-game deficit in the AL Central and barely a hint of hope of making the postseason. Still, Tigers owner Mike Ilitch likes what the club has going.
“(This season) is very disappointing, “Ilitch told the Free Press on Friday, “(but) I’m staying
with Dave and I’m staying with our manager. I feel that we’re going to
Seems like the right move. If Rick Porcello manages to bounce back next season and Miguel Cabrera continues to rake, there’s reason for optimism in Detroit. Brennan Boesch looks like a nice, young player and 23-year-old Austin Jackson has played admirably in his first big league season. Of course, there are question marks. Will Johnny Damon be brought back? And how about Magglio Ordonez? It should be an interesting winter.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)