Aug 6, 2010, 8:34 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt, Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press reported Friday that the Tigers will bring back manager Jim Leyland and GM Dave Dombrowski for the 2011 season.
The Tigers were 10 games above .500 at this year’s All-Star break and just one game behind the Twins for first place in the American League Central. Now they’re two games under .500 with a nine-game deficit in the AL Central and barely a hint of hope of making the postseason. Still, Tigers owner Mike Ilitch likes what the club has going.
“(This season) is very disappointing, “Ilitch told the Free Press on Friday, “(but) I’m staying
with Dave and I’m staying with our manager. I feel that we’re going to
Seems like the right move. If Rick Porcello manages to bounce back next season and Miguel Cabrera continues to rake, there’s reason for optimism in Detroit. Brennan Boesch looks like a nice, young player and 23-year-old Austin Jackson has played admirably in his first big league season. Of course, there are question marks. Will Johnny Damon be brought back? And how about Magglio Ordonez? It should be an interesting winter.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)