Aug 6, 2010, 8:34 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt, Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press reported Friday that the Tigers will bring back manager Jim Leyland and GM Dave Dombrowski for the 2011 season.
The Tigers were 10 games above .500 at this year’s All-Star break and just one game behind the Twins for first place in the American League Central. Now they’re two games under .500 with a nine-game deficit in the AL Central and barely a hint of hope of making the postseason. Still, Tigers owner Mike Ilitch likes what the club has going.
“(This season) is very disappointing, “Ilitch told the Free Press on Friday, “(but) I’m staying
with Dave and I’m staying with our manager. I feel that we’re going to
Seems like the right move. If Rick Porcello manages to bounce back next season and Miguel Cabrera continues to rake, there’s reason for optimism in Detroit. Brennan Boesch looks like a nice, young player and 23-year-old Austin Jackson has played admirably in his first big league season. Of course, there are question marks. Will Johnny Damon be brought back? And how about Magglio Ordonez? It should be an interesting winter.
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 9
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 14
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 23
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 82
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 60
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)