Aug 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Wimmers, a 6-foot-2 right-hander, was selected 21st overall in June’s first-year player draft after winning back-to-back Big Ten Pitcher of the Year awards at Ohio State. He posted a 9-0 record this past season with a spectacular 1.60 ERA, and he struck out 273 batters over 215.2 total innings as a Buckeye.
With a solid low-90s fastball and quality off-speed stuff, Wimmers was considered one of the more MLB-ready talents in the 2010 draft. He’s a strike-thrower first, and that sure fits the mold of a Twins pitcher. Look for him to move quickly through the club’s farm system.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)