Aug 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Wimmers, a 6-foot-2 right-hander, was selected 21st overall in June’s first-year player draft after winning back-to-back Big Ten Pitcher of the Year awards at Ohio State. He posted a 9-0 record this past season with a spectacular 1.60 ERA, and he struck out 273 batters over 215.2 total innings as a Buckeye.
With a solid low-90s fastball and quality off-speed stuff, Wimmers was considered one of the more MLB-ready talents in the 2010 draft. He’s a strike-thrower first, and that sure fits the mold of a Twins pitcher. Look for him to move quickly through the club’s farm system.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)