Aug 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Wimmers, a 6-foot-2 right-hander, was selected 21st overall in June’s first-year player draft after winning back-to-back Big Ten Pitcher of the Year awards at Ohio State. He posted a 9-0 record this past season with a spectacular 1.60 ERA, and he struck out 273 batters over 215.2 total innings as a Buckeye.
With a solid low-90s fastball and quality off-speed stuff, Wimmers was considered one of the more MLB-ready talents in the 2010 draft. He’s a strike-thrower first, and that sure fits the mold of a Twins pitcher. Look for him to move quickly through the club’s farm system.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)