Aug 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
Wimmers, a 6-foot-2 right-hander, was selected 21st overall in June’s first-year player draft after winning back-to-back Big Ten Pitcher of the Year awards at Ohio State. He posted a 9-0 record this past season with a spectacular 1.60 ERA, and he struck out 273 batters over 215.2 total innings as a Buckeye.
With a solid low-90s fastball and quality off-speed stuff, Wimmers was considered one of the more MLB-ready talents in the 2010 draft. He’s a strike-thrower first, and that sure fits the mold of a Twins pitcher. Look for him to move quickly through the club’s farm system.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1