Aug 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EST
Wimmers, a 6-foot-2 right-hander, was selected 21st overall in June’s first-year player draft after winning back-to-back Big Ten Pitcher of the Year awards at Ohio State. He posted a 9-0 record this past season with a spectacular 1.60 ERA, and he struck out 273 batters over 215.2 total innings as a Buckeye.
With a solid low-90s fastball and quality off-speed stuff, Wimmers was considered one of the more MLB-ready talents in the 2010 draft. He’s a strike-thrower first, and that sure fits the mold of a Twins pitcher. Look for him to move quickly through the club’s farm system.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (109)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)