Aug 6, 2010, 10:45 AM EST
As Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reminded us last month, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels has the ability to opt out of his contract after the season in the event of new ownership.
Now that Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan have landed the team, Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com asked Daniels if he has any intention to use his out-clause. Predictably, he isn’t saying much.
Q: There’s been talk about your contract and the opportunity to opt out. Do you want to stay here?
Daniels: I’ve been pretty clear on that point. I
couldn’t imagine a better situation as far as quality of people that I
have the opportunity to work with on a daily basis and a community that
my family and I really like. I’m sure at some point I’ll get the
opportunity to talk about it, but that’s the farthest thing from my
The other day I was directed to a very interesting piece by Mike Hindman of Baseball Time in Arlington, a fantastic blog on all things Texas Rangers. This was posted before Ryan and Greenberg submitted the winning bid — so please take that into account — but Hindman presented a scenario where Daniels, who grew up as a Mets fan, would leave Texas, even if Ryan and Greenberg walked away with the team. The guys at BBTiA are bright and well-connected in the Rangers organization, so the possibility cannot be ignored.
We’re hearing a lot about Fred Wilpon hinting that Omar Minaya will be back as general manager of the Mets next season, but he simply didn’t say that. In fact, I’m not sure what he said yesterday means anything whatsoever. If Daniels becomes available, the Mets should absolutely listen.
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants concussions to remain part of the game 0
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 13
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 24
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 28
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 64
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)