Aug 6, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
As Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reminded us last month, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels has the ability to opt out of his contract after the season in the event of new ownership.
Now that Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan have landed the team, Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com asked Daniels if he has any intention to use his out-clause. Predictably, he isn’t saying much.
Q: There’s been talk about your contract and the opportunity to opt out. Do you want to stay here?
Daniels: I’ve been pretty clear on that point. I
couldn’t imagine a better situation as far as quality of people that I
have the opportunity to work with on a daily basis and a community that
my family and I really like. I’m sure at some point I’ll get the
opportunity to talk about it, but that’s the farthest thing from my
The other day I was directed to a very interesting piece by Mike Hindman of Baseball Time in Arlington, a fantastic blog on all things Texas Rangers. This was posted before Ryan and Greenberg submitted the winning bid — so please take that into account — but Hindman presented a scenario where Daniels, who grew up as a Mets fan, would leave Texas, even if Ryan and Greenberg walked away with the team. The guys at BBTiA are bright and well-connected in the Rangers organization, so the possibility cannot be ignored.
We’re hearing a lot about Fred Wilpon hinting that Omar Minaya will be back as general manager of the Mets next season, but he simply didn’t say that. In fact, I’m not sure what he said yesterday means anything whatsoever. If Daniels becomes available, the Mets should absolutely listen.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)