Aug 6, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
As Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reminded us last month, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels has the ability to opt out of his contract after the season in the event of new ownership.
Now that Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan have landed the team, Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com asked Daniels if he has any intention to use his out-clause. Predictably, he isn’t saying much.
Q: There’s been talk about your contract and the opportunity to opt out. Do you want to stay here?
Daniels: I’ve been pretty clear on that point. I
couldn’t imagine a better situation as far as quality of people that I
have the opportunity to work with on a daily basis and a community that
my family and I really like. I’m sure at some point I’ll get the
opportunity to talk about it, but that’s the farthest thing from my
The other day I was directed to a very interesting piece by Mike Hindman of Baseball Time in Arlington, a fantastic blog on all things Texas Rangers. This was posted before Ryan and Greenberg submitted the winning bid — so please take that into account — but Hindman presented a scenario where Daniels, who grew up as a Mets fan, would leave Texas, even if Ryan and Greenberg walked away with the team. The guys at BBTiA are bright and well-connected in the Rangers organization, so the possibility cannot be ignored.
We’re hearing a lot about Fred Wilpon hinting that Omar Minaya will be back as general manager of the Mets next season, but he simply didn’t say that. In fact, I’m not sure what he said yesterday means anything whatsoever. If Daniels becomes available, the Mets should absolutely listen.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 7
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 8
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)