Aug 7, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: For those not watching FOX’s telecast of the Red Sox-Yankees game, A-Rod was hit by the line drive during BP after being “distracted” by Joe Buck. Can’t make this stuff up.
The good news, at least for Yankees fans, is that the X-rays came back negative and Rodriguez is listed as day-to-day.
2:41 PM: Alex Rodriguez was diagnosed with a lower left leg contusion, according to Ben Shpigel of the New York Times. He’ll receive X-rays. Ramiro Pena will start in his place at third base this afternoon.
1:49 PM: Uh-oh. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Alex Rodriguez just limped off the field after being struck in the left leg by a line drive during batting practice.
According to several beat writers on the scene, it appears that Rodriguez was hit in the shin by a ball off the bat of Lance Berkman. What can you say, the guy continues to make plenty of new friends in New York.
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com reports that A-Rod was “writhing in pain” and was down on the ground for several minutes.
We’ll soon find out if it was anything serious.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)