Aug 7, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: For those not watching FOX’s telecast of the Red Sox-Yankees game, A-Rod was hit by the line drive during BP after being “distracted” by Joe Buck. Can’t make this stuff up.
The good news, at least for Yankees fans, is that the X-rays came back negative and Rodriguez is listed as day-to-day.
2:41 PM: Alex Rodriguez was diagnosed with a lower left leg contusion, according to Ben Shpigel of the New York Times. He’ll receive X-rays. Ramiro Pena will start in his place at third base this afternoon.
1:49 PM: Uh-oh. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Alex Rodriguez just limped off the field after being struck in the left leg by a line drive during batting practice.
According to several beat writers on the scene, it appears that Rodriguez was hit in the shin by a ball off the bat of Lance Berkman. What can you say, the guy continues to make plenty of new friends in New York.
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com reports that A-Rod was “writhing in pain” and was down on the ground for several minutes.
We’ll soon find out if it was anything serious.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (165)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (134)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)