Aug 7, 2010, 4:25 PM EST
UPDATE: For those not watching FOX’s telecast of the Red Sox-Yankees game, A-Rod was hit by the line drive during BP after being “distracted” by Joe Buck. Can’t make this stuff up.
The good news, at least for Yankees fans, is that the X-rays came back negative and Rodriguez is listed as day-to-day.
2:41 PM: Alex Rodriguez was diagnosed with a lower left leg contusion, according to Ben Shpigel of the New York Times. He’ll receive X-rays. Ramiro Pena will start in his place at third base this afternoon.
1:49 PM: Uh-oh. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Alex Rodriguez just limped off the field after being struck in the left leg by a line drive during batting practice.
According to several beat writers on the scene, it appears that Rodriguez was hit in the shin by a ball off the bat of Lance Berkman. What can you say, the guy continues to make plenty of new friends in New York.
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com reports that A-Rod was “writhing in pain” and was down on the ground for several minutes.
We’ll soon find out if it was anything serious.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)