Aug 7, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: For those not watching FOX’s telecast of the Red Sox-Yankees game, A-Rod was hit by the line drive during BP after being “distracted” by Joe Buck. Can’t make this stuff up.
The good news, at least for Yankees fans, is that the X-rays came back negative and Rodriguez is listed as day-to-day.
2:41 PM: Alex Rodriguez was diagnosed with a lower left leg contusion, according to Ben Shpigel of the New York Times. He’ll receive X-rays. Ramiro Pena will start in his place at third base this afternoon.
1:49 PM: Uh-oh. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Alex Rodriguez just limped off the field after being struck in the left leg by a line drive during batting practice.
According to several beat writers on the scene, it appears that Rodriguez was hit in the shin by a ball off the bat of Lance Berkman. What can you say, the guy continues to make plenty of new friends in New York.
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com reports that A-Rod was “writhing in pain” and was down on the ground for several minutes.
We’ll soon find out if it was anything serious.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)