Aug 7, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
John Henry may think that his team needs “a miracle” to make the playoffs, but the Red Sox just keep finding ways to win baseball games.
The latest example was Friday night, when some miscommunication between Francisco Cervelli and Javier Vazquez led to a dropped pop-up in front of the mound during the top of the second inning. The miscue opened the door for the Red Sox to score three unearned runs. They ended up being the difference in a 6-3 win.
According to Tim Britton of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi saw it as the crucial play of the game.
“It led to three unearned runs, and we lost by three runs,” Girardi
said. “It’s unfortunate that’s what it turned into. Javy got the second
out. He just couldn’t seem to get the third out.”
“Someone’s got to catch it,” said Girardi. “That’s the bottom line.”
The Red Sox, winners of two straight and eight out of their last 11, are now within five games of the first-place Yankees in the American League East. They haven’t been this close to first since July 11. There’s still quite a hill to climb, obviously, but they have a golden opportunity to make up some serious ground this weekend.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)