Aug 7, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
John Henry may think that his team needs “a miracle” to make the playoffs, but the Red Sox just keep finding ways to win baseball games.
The latest example was Friday night, when some miscommunication between Francisco Cervelli and Javier Vazquez led to a dropped pop-up in front of the mound during the top of the second inning. The miscue opened the door for the Red Sox to score three unearned runs. They ended up being the difference in a 6-3 win.
According to Tim Britton of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi saw it as the crucial play of the game.
“It led to three unearned runs, and we lost by three runs,” Girardi
said. “It’s unfortunate that’s what it turned into. Javy got the second
out. He just couldn’t seem to get the third out.”
“Someone’s got to catch it,” said Girardi. “That’s the bottom line.”
The Red Sox, winners of two straight and eight out of their last 11, are now within five games of the first-place Yankees in the American League East. They haven’t been this close to first since July 11. There’s still quite a hill to climb, obviously, but they have a golden opportunity to make up some serious ground this weekend.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)