Aug 7, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
John Henry may think that his team needs “a miracle” to make the playoffs, but the Red Sox just keep finding ways to win baseball games.
The latest example was Friday night, when some miscommunication between Francisco Cervelli and Javier Vazquez led to a dropped pop-up in front of the mound during the top of the second inning. The miscue opened the door for the Red Sox to score three unearned runs. They ended up being the difference in a 6-3 win.
According to Tim Britton of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi saw it as the crucial play of the game.
“It led to three unearned runs, and we lost by three runs,” Girardi
said. “It’s unfortunate that’s what it turned into. Javy got the second
out. He just couldn’t seem to get the third out.”
“Someone’s got to catch it,” said Girardi. “That’s the bottom line.”
The Red Sox, winners of two straight and eight out of their last 11, are now within five games of the first-place Yankees in the American League East. They haven’t been this close to first since July 11. There’s still quite a hill to climb, obviously, but they have a golden opportunity to make up some serious ground this weekend.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 12
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 20
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)