Aug 7, 2010, 2:52 PM EST
Yankees pitching coach Dave Eiland told Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com that Javier Vazquez is dealing with a dead arm.
Vazquez struggled in Friday’s loss to the Red Sox, allowing six runs — three earned — while walking four and allowing two home runs. After the game, Yankees manager Joe Girardi expressed concern in the right-hander’s failure to reach 90 mph with his fastball.
Vazquez entered Friday’s contest with a 3.29 ERA over his last 90 1/3 innings dating back to early May, but his velocity has been down for most of the year. He has averaged 88.9 mph on his fastball this season, compared to 91.1 mph with the Braves last season, according to Fangraphs.
The Yankees don’t believe anything is seriously wrong with him, however Vazquez thought the team may evaluate him further. In an effort to get Vazquez through the dead arm period, Eiland said the team will cut down on his workload between starts.
It’s not like a pitcher having a dead arm is uncommon — heck, even Roy Oswalt is going through it right now — but this is hardly good news for a team that currently holds a razor thin lead in the AL East.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 11
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 110
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)