Aug 7, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
Way to kick the Rays when they are down, baseball gods.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, Jeff Niemann was scratched from Sunday’s start against the Blue Jays due to shoulder soreness. Andy Sonnanstine will be activated from the disabled list to start in his place.
Niemann is only expected to miss one start, but that’s obviously subject to change.
The 27-year-old right-hander is 10-3 with a 3.12 ERA and 1.17 WHIP over 22 starts this season.
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 3
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)