Aug 7, 2010, 12:31 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Mets have released Alex Cora in order to make room for Ruben Tejada. The Mets also optioned outfielder Jesus Feliciano to the minor leagues, clearing the way for Fernando Martinez to join the active roster, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
Cora, 34, is batting just .207/.265/.278 with zero homers and 20 RBI in 169 at-bats this season. He has just four hits in his last 38 at-bats (.105), so it won’t hurt to give Tejada some more playing time, especially now that the Mets are all but out of playoff contention.
This is also meaningful because Cora was just 18 games away from a $2 million vesting option for next season.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)