Aug 7, 2010, 12:31 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Mets have released Alex Cora in order to make room for Ruben Tejada. The Mets also optioned outfielder Jesus Feliciano to the minor leagues, clearing the way for Fernando Martinez to join the active roster, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
Cora, 34, is batting just .207/.265/.278 with zero homers and 20 RBI in 169 at-bats this season. He has just four hits in his last 38 at-bats (.105), so it won’t hurt to give Tejada some more playing time, especially now that the Mets are all but out of playoff contention.
This is also meaningful because Cora was just 18 games away from a $2 million vesting option for next season.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)