Aug 7, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Mets have released Alex Cora in order to make room for Ruben Tejada. The Mets also optioned outfielder Jesus Feliciano to the minor leagues, clearing the way for Fernando Martinez to join the active roster, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
Cora, 34, is batting just .207/.265/.278 with zero homers and 20 RBI in 169 at-bats this season. He has just four hits in his last 38 at-bats (.105), so it won’t hurt to give Tejada some more playing time, especially now that the Mets are all but out of playoff contention.
This is also meaningful because Cora was just 18 games away from a $2 million vesting option for next season.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)