Aug 7, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Mets have released Alex Cora in order to make room for Ruben Tejada. The Mets also optioned outfielder Jesus Feliciano to the minor leagues, clearing the way for Fernando Martinez to join the active roster, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.
Cora, 34, is batting just .207/.265/.278 with zero homers and 20 RBI in 169 at-bats this season. He has just four hits in his last 38 at-bats (.105), so it won’t hurt to give Tejada some more playing time, especially now that the Mets are all but out of playoff contention.
This is also meaningful because Cora was just 18 games away from a $2 million vesting option for next season.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 10
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 129
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)