Aug 7, 2010, 12:41 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox have signed free agent first baseman Carlos Delgado to a minor league contract.
As a condition of the agreement, the veteran slugger must be in the major leagues by September 1 or he can become a free agent. He’ll receive a pro-rated portion of a $3 million salary if or when he joins the active roster. The Red Sox have also agreed to not offer him arbitration this winter.
Mike Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Delgado is expected to join Triple-A Pawtucket either today or tomorrow and begin playing as soon as possible. The 38-year-old first baseman hasn’t played in the majors since last May due to multiple hip surgeries.
Now that Kevin Youkilis is lost for the season due to thumb surgery, the Red Sox have been in the market for a left-handed compliment to Mike Lowell at first base. Neither are the most durable of options at this point in their respective careers, but Delgado did bat .298/.393/.521 over his first 94 at-bats last season. This is your classic case of a low risk, high-reward type move.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)