Aug 7, 2010, 12:41 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox have signed free agent first baseman Carlos Delgado to a minor league contract.
As a condition of the agreement, the veteran slugger must be in the major leagues by September 1 or he can become a free agent. He’ll receive a pro-rated portion of a $3 million salary if or when he joins the active roster. The Red Sox have also agreed to not offer him arbitration this winter.
Mike Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Delgado is expected to join Triple-A Pawtucket either today or tomorrow and begin playing as soon as possible. The 38-year-old first baseman hasn’t played in the majors since last May due to multiple hip surgeries.
Now that Kevin Youkilis is lost for the season due to thumb surgery, the Red Sox have been in the market for a left-handed compliment to Mike Lowell at first base. Neither are the most durable of options at this point in their respective careers, but Delgado did bat .298/.393/.521 over his first 94 at-bats last season. This is your classic case of a low risk, high-reward type move.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 26
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)