Aug 7, 2010, 11:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com reports that the Mets have summoned Fernando Martinez and Ruben Tejada from Triple-A Buffalo, as alluded to earlier. No word yet on what the corresponding roster moves will be.
9:19 AM: A source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that neither Fernando Martinez or Ruben Tejada were placed on waivers, and thus, can’t be traded. And honestly, you’d have to think someone would claim them before the Mariners would even have the chance.
Another source adds that the moves were “internal stuff,” meaning that Martinez and Tejada are likely to be called up from the minors, not traded. The current buzz is that Alex Cora and Jeff Francoeur could be on their way out to make room for the new arrivals, but nothing will be confirmed until later today. Carry on, everyone.
8:30 AM: Fernando Martinez and Ruben Tejada were scratched from last night’s game with Triple-A Buffalo, prompting many to wonder if a trade or a promotion were imminent. We got our answer just a little after 1 a.m. EST.
Two sources — one with ties to the Mets organization, the other formerly with the organization — tell Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that the Mariners are involved with trade dialogue with the Mets and that Martinez could be included in a potential deal.
Upon hearing this, I immediately racked my brain for the most obvious trade candidates from Seattle. Outside of Jose Lopez, David Aardsma or Brandon League, Chone Figgins strikes me as the most likely possibility. There were some conflicting reports about his availability around the trade deadline, but his big contract should be able to pass through waivers with relative ease.
Jeff Sullivan of Lookout Landing has come to a similar conclusion, thinking that the two teams are working on a mutual dump of Figgins and Luis Castillo. Figgins is owed $9 million in each of the next two seasons, $8 million in 2013 and has a $9 million vesting option for 2014. Castillo will make $6 million next season in the final year of a four-year, $25 million contract.
It’s all guess work for now, so feel free to post your theories in the comments.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)