Aug 7, 2010, 11:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com reports that the Mets have summoned Fernando Martinez and Ruben Tejada from Triple-A Buffalo, as alluded to earlier. No word yet on what the corresponding roster moves will be.
9:19 AM: A source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that neither Fernando Martinez or Ruben Tejada were placed on waivers, and thus, can’t be traded. And honestly, you’d have to think someone would claim them before the Mariners would even have the chance.
Another source adds that the moves were “internal stuff,” meaning that Martinez and Tejada are likely to be called up from the minors, not traded. The current buzz is that Alex Cora and Jeff Francoeur could be on their way out to make room for the new arrivals, but nothing will be confirmed until later today. Carry on, everyone.
8:30 AM: Fernando Martinez and Ruben Tejada were scratched from last night’s game with Triple-A Buffalo, prompting many to wonder if a trade or a promotion were imminent. We got our answer just a little after 1 a.m. EST.
Two sources — one with ties to the Mets organization, the other formerly with the organization — tell Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that the Mariners are involved with trade dialogue with the Mets and that Martinez could be included in a potential deal.
Upon hearing this, I immediately racked my brain for the most obvious trade candidates from Seattle. Outside of Jose Lopez, David Aardsma or Brandon League, Chone Figgins strikes me as the most likely possibility. There were some conflicting reports about his availability around the trade deadline, but his big contract should be able to pass through waivers with relative ease.
Jeff Sullivan of Lookout Landing has come to a similar conclusion, thinking that the two teams are working on a mutual dump of Figgins and Luis Castillo. Figgins is owed $9 million in each of the next two seasons, $8 million in 2013 and has a $9 million vesting option for 2014. Castillo will make $6 million next season in the final year of a four-year, $25 million contract.
It’s all guess work for now, so feel free to post your theories in the comments.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)