Aug 7, 2010, 11:37 AM EDT
UPDATE: Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com reports that the Mets have summoned Fernando Martinez and Ruben Tejada from Triple-A Buffalo, as alluded to earlier. No word yet on what the corresponding roster moves will be.
9:19 AM: A source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that neither Fernando Martinez or Ruben Tejada were placed on waivers, and thus, can’t be traded. And honestly, you’d have to think someone would claim them before the Mariners would even have the chance.
Another source adds that the moves were “internal stuff,” meaning that Martinez and Tejada are likely to be called up from the minors, not traded. The current buzz is that Alex Cora and Jeff Francoeur could be on their way out to make room for the new arrivals, but nothing will be confirmed until later today. Carry on, everyone.
8:30 AM: Fernando Martinez and Ruben Tejada were scratched from last night’s game with Triple-A Buffalo, prompting many to wonder if a trade or a promotion were imminent. We got our answer just a little after 1 a.m. EST.
Two sources — one with ties to the Mets organization, the other formerly with the organization — tell Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that the Mariners are involved with trade dialogue with the Mets and that Martinez could be included in a potential deal.
Upon hearing this, I immediately racked my brain for the most obvious trade candidates from Seattle. Outside of Jose Lopez, David Aardsma or Brandon League, Chone Figgins strikes me as the most likely possibility. There were some conflicting reports about his availability around the trade deadline, but his big contract should be able to pass through waivers with relative ease.
Jeff Sullivan of Lookout Landing has come to a similar conclusion, thinking that the two teams are working on a mutual dump of Figgins and Luis Castillo. Figgins is owed $9 million in each of the next two seasons, $8 million in 2013 and has a $9 million vesting option for 2014. Castillo will make $6 million next season in the final year of a four-year, $25 million contract.
It’s all guess work for now, so feel free to post your theories in the comments.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)