Aug 7, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
That easy, huh?
Fresh off a three-game sweep of the Angels, the Orioles won in walkoff fashion for the second consecutive night Friday, defeating the White Sox 2-1 in 10 innings. Adam Jones played hero this time, delivering an RBI single to secure the victory.
New skipper Buck Showalter is 4-0 to begin his tenure in Baltimore while the four-game winning streak matches a season-high for the club.
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he’s not surprised the Orioles are playing better under Showalter.
“Those guys are going to play better for him for some reason. Buck is
the type of guy who demands players, day in and day out, to play good
baseball,” Guillen said. “He only takes that job for a reason. He takes
that job because he’s a guy who maybe, hopefully can put those guys back
where they want to be.”
I only have my own experience to back this up, but I’ve found that the hiring of a new manager can often lead to a temporary spark, even for the worst of ballclubs. The Orioles have taken a rather significant step back this season, but they aren’t completely hopeless. They still have the same young talent they had a year ago. Let’s see if Showalter can make something out of them.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)