Aug 7, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
That easy, huh?
Fresh off a three-game sweep of the Angels, the Orioles won in walkoff fashion for the second consecutive night Friday, defeating the White Sox 2-1 in 10 innings. Adam Jones played hero this time, delivering an RBI single to secure the victory.
New skipper Buck Showalter is 4-0 to begin his tenure in Baltimore while the four-game winning streak matches a season-high for the club.
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that he’s not surprised the Orioles are playing better under Showalter.
“Those guys are going to play better for him for some reason. Buck is
the type of guy who demands players, day in and day out, to play good
baseball,” Guillen said. “He only takes that job for a reason. He takes
that job because he’s a guy who maybe, hopefully can put those guys back
where they want to be.”
I only have my own experience to back this up, but I’ve found that the hiring of a new manager can often lead to a temporary spark, even for the worst of ballclubs. The Orioles have taken a rather significant step back this season, but they aren’t completely hopeless. They still have the same young talent they had a year ago. Let’s see if Showalter can make something out of them.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 4
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)