Aug 7, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times, Hunter originally intended to appeal the suspension, however he changed his mind after conferring with his agent, Angels manager Mike Scioscia and general manager Tony Reagins.
“The more you think about it, the more you watch it, that’s not me and I really let that guy push my buttons, and I
shouldn’t have let it come to that. I apologize to the fans and to the
kids out there and to my kids.”
“I was terrible yesterday. I threw balls on the field, I said some
things I wish I wouldn’t have said and you have to pay the price for it.
That’s what I’m going to do.”
7:04 PM: Torii Hunter was handed a four-game suspension for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Ron Kulpa during Friday night’s game against the Tigers, tweets Victor Rojas.
Hunter, who will not appeal, will begin serving the suspension tonight.
Hunter was visibly unhappy with a high strike call during an at-bat in the eighth inning of last night’s game. After eventually striking out looking on a pitch in the lower part of the zone, Hunter lost his cool and looked to have bumped Kulpa with his helmet. Hunter was then separated from Kulpa by Mike Scioscia, who was also ejected from the game. Before leaving the dugout, Hunter launched a bucket of baseballs onto the field. He later told reporters that Kulpa was “being a drama queen” about the whole thing.
I’m waiting for a bunch of columnists to question Hunter’s leadership here, but let’s be honest, the Angels are out of this thing already.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)