Aug 7, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times, Hunter originally intended to appeal the suspension, however he changed his mind after conferring with his agent, Angels manager Mike Scioscia and general manager Tony Reagins.
“The more you think about it, the more you watch it, that’s not me and I really let that guy push my buttons, and I
shouldn’t have let it come to that. I apologize to the fans and to the
kids out there and to my kids.”
“I was terrible yesterday. I threw balls on the field, I said some
things I wish I wouldn’t have said and you have to pay the price for it.
That’s what I’m going to do.”
7:04 PM: Torii Hunter was handed a four-game suspension for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Ron Kulpa during Friday night’s game against the Tigers, tweets Victor Rojas.
Hunter, who will not appeal, will begin serving the suspension tonight.
Hunter was visibly unhappy with a high strike call during an at-bat in the eighth inning of last night’s game. After eventually striking out looking on a pitch in the lower part of the zone, Hunter lost his cool and looked to have bumped Kulpa with his helmet. Hunter was then separated from Kulpa by Mike Scioscia, who was also ejected from the game. Before leaving the dugout, Hunter launched a bucket of baseballs onto the field. He later told reporters that Kulpa was “being a drama queen” about the whole thing.
I’m waiting for a bunch of columnists to question Hunter’s leadership here, but let’s be honest, the Angels are out of this thing already.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)