Aug 7, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times, Hunter originally intended to appeal the suspension, however he changed his mind after conferring with his agent, Angels manager Mike Scioscia and general manager Tony Reagins.
“The more you think about it, the more you watch it, that’s not me and I really let that guy push my buttons, and I
shouldn’t have let it come to that. I apologize to the fans and to the
kids out there and to my kids.”
“I was terrible yesterday. I threw balls on the field, I said some
things I wish I wouldn’t have said and you have to pay the price for it.
That’s what I’m going to do.”
7:04 PM: Torii Hunter was handed a four-game suspension for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Ron Kulpa during Friday night’s game against the Tigers, tweets Victor Rojas.
Hunter, who will not appeal, will begin serving the suspension tonight.
Hunter was visibly unhappy with a high strike call during an at-bat in the eighth inning of last night’s game. After eventually striking out looking on a pitch in the lower part of the zone, Hunter lost his cool and looked to have bumped Kulpa with his helmet. Hunter was then separated from Kulpa by Mike Scioscia, who was also ejected from the game. Before leaving the dugout, Hunter launched a bucket of baseballs onto the field. He later told reporters that Kulpa was “being a drama queen” about the whole thing.
I’m waiting for a bunch of columnists to question Hunter’s leadership here, but let’s be honest, the Angels are out of this thing already.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)