Mark Prior on the road back to the bigs via indy ball

Aug 8, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT

Mark Prior made his debut for the Orange County Flyers of the independent Golden Baseball League last week and also got a quick profile in the Los Angeles Times.

Prior is still only 29 years of age, which seems incredible, and his fastball has been clocked in the 90s.  Sure, it’s doubtful that he will ever resurface in the major leagues, but it’s not completely out of the question.  Prior feels like he still has some life left in his arm and that he wasn’t given a fair shot at a comeback.

“It’s not the problem of reinventing myself,” Prior told the LA Times. “I never got over the first hump.”

The right-hander went 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 245 strikeouts in 211.1 innings back in 2003 for the Cubs.  He threw his last major league pitch in 2006 and finished that season with a 7.21 ERA and 1.69 WHIP over 43.2 total frames.

Prior has thrown one inning for the Flyers.  He didn’t allow a hit or a run and struck out one batter.

1. keg64 - Aug 8, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Even if he never makes it, you’ve got to admire the man’s perserverance. He obviously doesn’t need the money. Whether it is the love of the game, or to prove something to himself, this Cub fan wishes him well.

2. Ditto65 - Aug 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM

It beats working for a living, and I say that with all the jealousy in the world.

3. Route36West - Aug 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I dont care what his name is or his past if he can pitch i wouldnt mind him on the Philles

4. quandylowes - Aug 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM

hey bra, my buddy came across something that i know is right up your alley its http://sportscomplainer.com/mlb . figured i do ya the service of lettin u know. aright bye

5. quandylowes - Aug 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM

obviously it beats that. who isnt jealous of an athlete

6. MerkleBoner - Aug 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Why is it that sports reporters and bloggers have to say that someone is 29 “years of age?” Nowhere else do you see people saying “oh hey it’s my birthday I’m 21 years of age today.” “Oh that politician just died he was 89 years of age.” Why not 29 years old or simply 29? I mean cmon.

7. Adam - Aug 8, 2010 at 11:53 PM

At the start he was thought the be a great pitcher. The Cubs worked his arm too much and that led to the arm problems. He’s 29 years old, that like middle age for pitchers i think. if he can still throw over 90 mph pitches i think that he can be back in the majors. I’ll be surprise if the Cubs take him back. keep dreaming…. I think that he could go somewhere like st. louis or Los Angeles.

8. Adam - Aug 8, 2010 at 11:55 PM

9. willmose - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I’ll pencil Prior in as starting the pitcher for the Cubs in their next World Series game.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win