Aug 8, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
New Rangers CEO and minority owner Chuck Greenberg has made it known that his club will do all it can to lock up left-hander Cliff Lee in the offseason. This according to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth-Star Telegram.
Of course, even if the Rangers don’t think they have a shot at pulling it off, Greenberg might as well preach the idea all summer and into the fall. The Yankees are known to have their eyes on Lee and tend to outbid the competition when they truly find a guy that they want. Then there are the other 28 teams that would love to add an ace left-hander.
Lee, 31, has posted a 10-5 record, a 2.44 ERA and a 0.92 WHIP in 19 starts this season between Seattle and Texas. He has racked up 126 strikeouts and walked only nine batters. And two of those were intentional walks. The guy is going to be this offseason’s big winner.
“Let’s see what happens,” Lee told the Star-Telegram on Saturday. “There’s a lot can happen between now and then,
but, yeah, it’s nice to be wanted. I’ve got to take care of what I
need to take care of between now and then. I have to help this team get
to the postseason and the World Series. That’s the ultimate goal. I’m
not too worried about the other stuff.”
The Rangers have a healthy nine-game first-place lead in the American League West thanks to a 64-46 record. They’re headed for their first playoff appearance since 1999.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)