Aug 8, 2010, 1:55 PM EDT
New Rangers CEO and minority owner Chuck Greenberg has made it known that his club will do all it can to lock up left-hander Cliff Lee in the offseason. This according to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth-Star Telegram.
Of course, even if the Rangers don’t think they have a shot at pulling it off, Greenberg might as well preach the idea all summer and into the fall. The Yankees are known to have their eyes on Lee and tend to outbid the competition when they truly find a guy that they want. Then there are the other 28 teams that would love to add an ace left-hander.
Lee, 31, has posted a 10-5 record, a 2.44 ERA and a 0.92 WHIP in 19 starts this season between Seattle and Texas. He has racked up 126 strikeouts and walked only nine batters. And two of those were intentional walks. The guy is going to be this offseason’s big winner.
“Let’s see what happens,” Lee told the Star-Telegram on Saturday. “There’s a lot can happen between now and then,
but, yeah, it’s nice to be wanted. I’ve got to take care of what I
need to take care of between now and then. I have to help this team get
to the postseason and the World Series. That’s the ultimate goal. I’m
not too worried about the other stuff.”
The Rangers have a healthy nine-game first-place lead in the American League West thanks to a 64-46 record. They’re headed for their first playoff appearance since 1999.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)