Aug 8, 2010, 8:41 AM EST
Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg passed his final test Saturday and has been cleared to return from the disabled list for a start Tuesday against the Marlins. He threw a bullpen session under the watch of pitching coach Steve McCatty, and the young phenom reported no pain or discomfort in his throwing arm.
Nats manager Jim Riggleman told the Associated Press that Strasburg will be on a loose 90-pitch limit in his return, which makes plenty of sense.
“I’m not really looking for him to go out there for the seventh inning,”
Riggleman said before Saturday night’s game at Dodger Stadium. “If we
were to get six innings out of him, that would be a huge step. If he got
five, that would be a good number to build on for his next one.”
Strasburg, of course, was mowing batters down before complaining of discomfort in his shoulder before his July 28 start. Through 51.1 innings and nine starts this season, he’s posted a 5-2 record with a 2.32 ERA and 75 strikeouts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)