Aug 9, 2010, 4:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: I guess the “statement” only lasted so long. Bottom of the eighth and Mark Teixeira just deposited a Daniel Bard fastball to the upper deck in right field. You may now exhale, Mr. Papelbon.
4:54: P.M.: Daniel Bard just came into the Yankees-Red Sox game in the bottom of the seventh with the Sox leading 2-0, the bases loaded, one out and Derek Jeter and Nick Swisher coming to bat.
Bards threw six pitches, all fastballs, clocking in at 97, 99, 98, 98, 97 and 99. Strike, strike, strike, strike, strike, strike.
I don’t know if the Red Sox season is truly over or not. But if it isn’t, and if they somehow manage to make it into the playoffs, I can’t help but think this moment will be remembered.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead