Daniel Bard just made a statement (with update rebutting some of that statement)

Aug 9, 2010, 4:57 PM EST

UPDATE: I guess the “statement” only lasted so long. Bottom of the eighth and Mark Teixeira just deposited a Daniel Bard fastball to the upper deck in right field. You may now exhale, Mr. Papelbon.

4:54: P.M.: Daniel Bard just came into the Yankees-Red Sox game in the bottom of the seventh with the Sox leading 2-0, the bases loaded, one out and Derek Jeter and Nick Swisher coming to bat.

Bards threw six pitches, all fastballs, clocking in at 97, 99, 98, 98, 97 and 99. Strike, strike, strike, strike, strike, strike.

I don’t know if the Red Sox season is truly over or not. But if it isn’t, and if they somehow manage to make it into the playoffs, I can’t help but think this moment will be remembered.

1. josh - Aug 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Great managing – using your best pitcher in the biggest situation, even if its the 7th inning. And letting Lester go against Granderson first was smart to start with.

2. Steve C - Aug 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Thanks, way to jinx it.

3. RichardInBigD - Aug 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Sounds like Boston has their own, less notewothy, version of Neftali Feliz. It would be kinda cool to see this Baird kid face off against this season’s certain Rookie of the Year in the playoffs..

4. flipsy - Aug 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM

On the risk of being shut-down again: this post was completely unnecessary. If this wasn’t a Red Sox – Yankees game (which guarantees plenty of clicks, I suppose) this would have never appeared in real-time. At the same time, other stories never get reported or reported late.

5. jloss - Aug 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM

OK, I am by no means a Red Sox or a Yankees fan. I hail from Atlanta Braves territory (nod to Craig). But, after reading this site for quite some time, I just had to register in order to respond to flipsy. How is this post unnecessary? We could argue that many posts are “unnecessary,” but it’s the only game going on this afternoon. Who is not paying attention to this game out of the shear fact that there’s no other game to watch right now. I do not see this as NY/BOS bias at all. Maybe there will also be a follow up on Ellsbury’s 4 steals this afternoon, because again, it’s the only game going on right now.

6. SportsME23 - Aug 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I agree. You guys do a great job of choosing what to post, but if you wanted to talk about every potential “moment to be remembered” then we’d have a hell of a lot of reading to do.

7. flipsy - Aug 9, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt that this is the first time this season that someone recorded 2 strikeouts on 6 straight pitches. Yes the LI was high and Bart’s fastball was really fast but if this had happened in a Rockies — Padres or Orioles — Indians game would that still be reported real-time (so fast that it needed a rebuttal). Clearly this was done because it was BOS-NYY and hence generates clicks (which Craig even admits he is after).
    Just from my small Jays universe, here are two recent events that were not reported on, or not as fast — and I’m sure other small market fans could easily add to that list:
    1. Jesse Litsch, member of the Jays rotation goes down. Not reported at while at the same time minor transactions from big teams are reported. I understand why this may not need to be reported here but then be more selective overall.
    2. Morrow’s no hitter: mlb.com (not the fasted outlet) reported on it in the 7th inning. Here, it showed in the 9th. A little more important that 2 SO and again if this would have been Lester or Hughes, I’m sure it would have been reported earlier.

8. flipsy - Aug 9, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Just one more example: Jun 20 — N. Feliz strikes out the last two Astros he faces to finish off the game. On 6 pitches! And I couldn’t find this mentioned anywhere here, not even in the game recap (I could be wrong but I’m certain it wasn’t real time)

9. Md23Rewls - Aug 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM

If this had helped Boston take three out of four or sweep, that’d be one thing, but they didn’t. They split the series, which means that they did nothing more than tread water while taking four games off the schedule. Obviously it’s preferable to losing the series for Boston fans, but it’s not a season saver any more than Sunday’s game was a season loser.

10. Proudly Canadian - Aug 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I agree with flipsy 103% (100% adjusted for currency exchange rate)!

11. John - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:06 PM

and if this post wasn’t about the sox/yanks, no one would complain about other memorable moments not being mentioned, at all. i figure craig was watching the game and was impressed by what he saw? especially considering how papelbon has been pitching? sounds about right.

12. Md23Rewls - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM

No offense to Toronto, but you can’t seriously expect them to garner the same attention as contending teams. They’re eight games out of the Wild Card. As for when the no-hitter was reported, isn’t it a little petty to complain about that? Seriously, who cares about such things? What’s the difference between a blog post being made in the seventh and a blog post being made in the eighth or ninth?

13. flipsy - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM

You are kidding me right? Yes, a no-hitter is not the biggest thing but much more important (and many more people care) than 2 SO.
    And again, this is not about Toronto but about selection of news altogether. I’m sure fans of other teams could come up with similar lists. A starting pitcher of any team going down is clearly more important than the 27th member of BOS/NYY changing. However, the latter one gets reported on, the former one not.

14. John_Michael - Aug 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Josh Becket has an ugly looking necklace. That’s the real story, isn’t it? If it isn’t, if Papelbon didn’t have Saves attached to his name on the stat line, how much woud he really be worth? Salary adjusted, less than Daniel Bard methinks.

15. JBerardi - Aug 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM

The Sox/Yankees played in the afternoon, with no other games going, and it’s a slow news day. What do you want? No posts at all in the interest of fairness to the other teams?

And, you know what? Sox/Yankees IS more important than basically any other matchup. More fans care. There’s more history. Two of the league’s powerhouse franchises. So yeah, they do get more attention than Rangers/Astros. What of it?

16. Professor Dave - Aug 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

All the whiners above are hilarious. Craig just posts whatever catches his attention – mostly Atlanta, the big players in the MLB, and guys he happens to like. You choose to read, you get Craig’s random selection biases. You don’t choose to read … it’d be a lot less whiny around here.

17. The Real Shuxion - Aug 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM

He also has an ugly looking pitch based on what I saw on Sunday night. The guy is not an ace. He is the #3 on my beloved sox.
    1. Lester
    2. Buchholz
    3. Beckett
    4. Matsuzaka
    5. Lackey (Money well spent)

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester