Aug 9, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
The hope was that Justin Morneau would be able to join the team in Chicago on Monday in order to participate in batting practice on Tuesday and Wednesday. No dice, apparently.
While refusing to call it a setback, Twins general manager Bill Smith told Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that there was a change in plans.
“He’s made good progress the last week,” Smith said. “Chicago was a
possibility, just like Cleveland was a possibility [this past weekend],
depending on how things went last week. But Justin’s very comfortable
with the facilities at Target Field, so he’s going to continue doing his
Morneau was given the day off Monday, but is expected to resume his workouts at Target Field on Tuesday. There was some chatter over the weekend about a possible minor league rehab
assignment later this week — and that could still very well happen — but Smith cautioned that due to the nature
of the injury, they have to be “careful about the forecasts.”
Morneau hasn’t played since suffering a concussion from a knee to the head by Toronto’s John McDonald on July 7. Continuing to ride the wave of outstanding seasons from Carl Pavano and Delmon Young, the Twins are 18-10 since that day and have picked up a game in the standings. They currently sit just a half-game behind the White Sox in the American League Central and could pull dead even if the ChiSox lose to the suddenly-hot Orioles tonight.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 31
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL