Aug 9, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
The hope was that Justin Morneau would be able to join the team in Chicago on Monday in order to participate in batting practice on Tuesday and Wednesday. No dice, apparently.
While refusing to call it a setback, Twins general manager Bill Smith told Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that there was a change in plans.
“He’s made good progress the last week,” Smith said. “Chicago was a
possibility, just like Cleveland was a possibility [this past weekend],
depending on how things went last week. But Justin’s very comfortable
with the facilities at Target Field, so he’s going to continue doing his
Morneau was given the day off Monday, but is expected to resume his workouts at Target Field on Tuesday. There was some chatter over the weekend about a possible minor league rehab
assignment later this week — and that could still very well happen — but Smith cautioned that due to the nature
of the injury, they have to be “careful about the forecasts.”
Morneau hasn’t played since suffering a concussion from a knee to the head by Toronto’s John McDonald on July 7. Continuing to ride the wave of outstanding seasons from Carl Pavano and Delmon Young, the Twins are 18-10 since that day and have picked up a game in the standings. They currently sit just a half-game behind the White Sox in the American League Central and could pull dead even if the ChiSox lose to the suddenly-hot Orioles tonight.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)