Aug 9, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
The hope was that Justin Morneau would be able to join the team in Chicago on Monday in order to participate in batting practice on Tuesday and Wednesday. No dice, apparently.
While refusing to call it a setback, Twins general manager Bill Smith told Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that there was a change in plans.
“He’s made good progress the last week,” Smith said. “Chicago was a
possibility, just like Cleveland was a possibility [this past weekend],
depending on how things went last week. But Justin’s very comfortable
with the facilities at Target Field, so he’s going to continue doing his
Morneau was given the day off Monday, but is expected to resume his workouts at Target Field on Tuesday. There was some chatter over the weekend about a possible minor league rehab
assignment later this week — and that could still very well happen — but Smith cautioned that due to the nature
of the injury, they have to be “careful about the forecasts.”
Morneau hasn’t played since suffering a concussion from a knee to the head by Toronto’s John McDonald on July 7. Continuing to ride the wave of outstanding seasons from Carl Pavano and Delmon Young, the Twins are 18-10 since that day and have picked up a game in the standings. They currently sit just a half-game behind the White Sox in the American League Central and could pull dead even if the ChiSox lose to the suddenly-hot Orioles tonight.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)