HBT Weekend Wrapup

Aug 9, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT

I know your game: you surf baseball blogs at work and tune out on the weekend because you have a life to lead. Hell, I invented that game. Which is why I also invented Weekend Wrapup.

Stuff you may have missed while you sat by the trailer drinkin’ beer with your grandma at the state park:

• A-Rod is OK after taking a BP liner to the leg. Thankfully this gave us all a chance to slam A-Rod again. My favorite: Wallace Matthews at ESPN New York,
    who described the incident — which was caused when FOX’s Joe Buck said
    hello to A-Rod, who returned the greeting — thusly: “a player who once
    again just can’t seem to help himself when it comes to
    courting, and being courted by, the lure of cheap celebrity.”  As if
    Matthews wouldn’t have slammed A-Rod for being “an aloof prima donna who
    has no time for the press or his fans” had he not acknowledged Buck’s
    greeting.
  • The Rangers will try to lock up Cliff Lee this season.
    I’m going to guess that the difference between their losing bid and the
    Yankees winning bid will be less than the difference between What Chuck
    Greenberg could have paid for the Rangers last spring but ended up
    paying for them last week due to the bankruptcy gambit. I also will
    guess that no one will make the connection at the time and will instead
    use the occasion to write more “the Yankees are trying to buy another
    championship” articles.
  • Torii Hunter got a four-game suspension
    and, in a rare move, didn’t appeal it. I guess his union rep explained
    that it would be hard to convince the league that it was Brandon Wood
    who threw all of those balls on the field during his temper tantrum.
  • Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: Erik Bedard underwent season-ending surgery
    (note: his season never began). Drew’s post on it asks “what’s next?”
    in the headline. The only possible answer: Bedard and Ben Sheets team up
    to fight crime.
  • The Pirates fired
    pitching coach Joe Kerrigan and bench coach Gary Varsho. Kerrigan isn’t
    a huge surprise in that the pitching has been bad. Varsho more so
    because, really, I thought the benches in Pirates’ dugout had been
    performing at or above expectations.
  • The Dodgers DFA’d Garret Anderson. You have to think this is the end of the road, as there are only so many GMs who will give a guy a contract based on accomplishments that are 7-8 years old.
  • The good news: the Rays haven’t lost one pitcher to arm trouble this year. The bad news: they’ve lost two.
  • Mark Prior: Don’t call it a comeback! He won’t be back for years!

And now let us plow into the week.

1. Grand Slam Single - Aug 9, 2010 at 8:59 AM

You always find the best pictures, Craig.

2. Simon DelMonte - Aug 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Actually a really interesting baseball weekend. Too bad whenever I turned on the radio here, the talking heads were only talking about someone called Isiah Thomas.
    The good news is that whenever Omar and the Wilpons get me down, I think about the Knicks and feel a little better. And hope that the Mets don’t go on the market anytime soon because the Dolans would be on the list of buyers.

3. Largebill - Aug 9, 2010 at 9:14 AM

“Stuff you may have missed while you sat by the trailer drinkin’ beer with your grandma at the state park”
    In the interest of accuracy, I spent the weekend at the church festival drinking beer. And I wasn’t with my grandma (long deceased) but was with my mother-in-law. She is 92 and a grandma in her own right so I’ll call that one close enough.

4. doctorfunke - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I was surprised to see that there was no mention about yet another horribly blown call by the umps. It happened dufing the Twins-Indians game on Friday night. Replays clearly show the ball hit the bottom railing byond the top of the wall. Cost them 2 runs and lots of momentum. Also prevented Jim Thome from adding to his Hall of Fame numbers.

5. Old Gator - Aug 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Weren’t those the same campers who were overrun by giant grasshoppers in Beginning of the End, or was it the giant bunnyrabbits in Night of the Lepus, or maybe the giant ants in Them, or the giant scorpions in Black Scorpion, or were they plucked by the giant praying mantis in The Deadly Mantis, or the giant worms in Blood Beach, or….

6. eaglealan64 - Aug 9, 2010 at 5:39 PM

You do realise that due to the bankruptcy Greenberg shed a load of liabilities he would have otherwise had to carry so he’s actually come out ahead of the game despite paying more …..

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet