Aug 9, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Stuff you may have missed while you sat by the trailer drinkin’ beer with your grandma at the state park:
- A-Rod is OK after taking a BP liner to the leg. Thankfully this gave us all a chance to slam A-Rod again. My favorite: Wallace Matthews at ESPN New York,
who described the incident — which was caused when FOX’s Joe Buck said
hello to A-Rod, who returned the greeting — thusly: “a player who once
again just can’t seem to help himself when it comes to
courting, and being courted by, the lure of cheap celebrity.” As if
Matthews wouldn’t have slammed A-Rod for being “an aloof prima donna who
has no time for the press or his fans” had he not acknowledged Buck’s
- The Rangers will try to lock up Cliff Lee this season.
I’m going to guess that the difference between their losing bid and the
Yankees winning bid will be less than the difference between What Chuck
Greenberg could have paid for the Rangers last spring but ended up
paying for them last week due to the bankruptcy gambit. I also will
guess that no one will make the connection at the time and will instead
use the occasion to write more “the Yankees are trying to buy another
- Torii Hunter got a four-game suspension
and, in a rare move, didn’t appeal it. I guess his union rep explained
that it would be hard to convince the league that it was Brandon Wood
who threw all of those balls on the field during his temper tantrum.
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: Erik Bedard underwent season-ending surgery
(note: his season never began). Drew’s post on it asks “what’s next?”
in the headline. The only possible answer: Bedard and Ben Sheets team up
to fight crime.
- The Pirates fired
pitching coach Joe Kerrigan and bench coach Gary Varsho. Kerrigan isn’t
a huge surprise in that the pitching has been bad. Varsho more so
because, really, I thought the benches in Pirates’ dugout had been
performing at or above expectations.
- Chris Coghlan will undergo season-ending knee-surgery. It may seem scary, but the surgeon informed him that the procedure was as easy as pie.
- The Tigers are keeping the band together;
- The Red Sox say hello to a part of the Mets past;
- Adam LaRoche should do the Roger Clemens thing and only sign contracts for the second half of the season;
- The Dodgers DFA’d Garret Anderson. You have to think this is the end of the road, as there are only so many GMs who will give a guy a contract based on accomplishments that are 7-8 years old.
- The good news: the Rays haven’t lost one pitcher to arm trouble this year. The bad news: they’ve lost two.
- Mark Prior: Don’t call it a comeback! He won’t be back for years!
And now let us plow into the week.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)