Jay Gibbons finally gets what he asked for. Now will he hold up his end of the deal?

Aug 9, 2010, 9:36 AM EDT

The Dodgers designating Garret Anderson for assignment opened up a roster spot, and the man who took it was one Jay Gibbons.  Interesting story there.

Gibbons, you’ll recall, was a Mitchell Report All-Star, having been tied up with those “rejuvenation clinics” that supplied players with HGH.  He was released by the Orioles the following spring and failed to latch on anywhere else as spring turned to summer.  In June 2008, he wrote letters to all 30 MLB teams basically pleading for a job (see the sidebar).  In the letter he said this:

I respectfully and humbly request that you grant me the chance to play
for your organization. I am so willing to prove myself as a player, and a
person, that I will donate ALL of my minor league earnings to your
Club’s charity. In the event that I earn the right to play at the major
league level, I will gladly donate a significant sum to that same
charity.

The letter bore some immediate fruit, as Gibbons was signed by the independent Long Island Ducks. Soon after that the Milwaukee Brewers took a chance on him, but he never made the big club. The Marlins gave him a look in spring training in 2009 but released him and he spent the year with the independent Newark Bears.  This year he’s been at AAA Albuquerque all season.

But now he’s back in the majors.  Query: did he give his minor league salary to the Brewers’ charity in 2008 and the Dodgers’ in 2009?  Now that he’s been called up, is he donating a “significant sum” to the Dodgers’ charity?

I’m not saying he should be forced to — the Dodgers charity has it’s own problems, so I actually hope he doesn’t, and it has been a couple of years since he made that promise — but he did say he would.

1. Jonny5 - Aug 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I thought I saw him in a movie before…. Yeah, i did. It was a favorite of mine actually. He played the part of Lotney Fratelli, a poor soul who was abused by his mother and brothers as they lived a life of crime.

2. (Not That) Tom - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Wrong guy. You’re confusing him with Sloth. I think why Gibbons seems so familiar is that you may have seen his baby pictures in the newspaper:

3. Jonny5 - Aug 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Lotney is “sloth”

4. Omega - Aug 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Baby Rooooooooth?!

5. pogodog7 - Aug 9, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Hey…Gibbons has always been a stand-up and all around good guy. He was always great to the fans in Baltimore.

6. Andy L - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I saw a list of players who are former Madison Mallards (summer wooden bat college-kid league). Jay Gibbons was the only one I knew.
    That’s all I got.