Aug 9, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
The Brewers have traded Jim Edmonds to the Reds for outfielder Chris Dickerson. This from the Reds Twitter feed of all places.
Wow. Edmonds is hitting .286/.350./493 this year and will help a Reds outfield that has been uneven. He’s also making only $850K this year, around a third of which would still be owed. Which makes me wonder how he managed to clear waivers given that he’s still pretty darn useful.
Indeed, the Cardinals — with a worse record than the Reds — could have blocked the deal by making a waiver claim. Was this an oversight? Do the Cardinals not want to risk having to pay Edmonds? Is there too much water under the bridge on a personal level between team and player that they didn’t want to take that chance?
Because from my point of view, this strengthens the Reds at a time when the Cardinals are in a dogfight with them.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)