Aug 9, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
The Brewers have traded Jim Edmonds to the Reds for outfielder Chris Dickerson. This from the Reds Twitter feed of all places.
Wow. Edmonds is hitting .286/.350./493 this year and will help a Reds outfield that has been uneven. He’s also making only $850K this year, around a third of which would still be owed. Which makes me wonder how he managed to clear waivers given that he’s still pretty darn useful.
Indeed, the Cardinals — with a worse record than the Reds — could have blocked the deal by making a waiver claim. Was this an oversight? Do the Cardinals not want to risk having to pay Edmonds? Is there too much water under the bridge on a personal level between team and player that they didn’t want to take that chance?
Because from my point of view, this strengthens the Reds at a time when the Cardinals are in a dogfight with them.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 22
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)