Jim Edmonds traded to the Reds

Aug 9, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT

The Brewers have traded Jim Edmonds to the Reds for outfielder Chris Dickerson. This from the Reds Twitter feed of all places.

Wow.  Edmonds is hitting .286/.350./493 this year and will help a Reds outfield that has been uneven. He’s also making only $850K this year, around a third of which would still be owed.  Which makes me wonder how he managed to clear waivers given that he’s still pretty darn useful.

Indeed, the Cardinals — with a worse record than the Reds — could have blocked the deal by making a waiver claim.  Was this an oversight? Do the Cardinals not want to risk having to pay Edmonds? Is there too much water under the bridge on a personal level between team and player that they didn’t want to take that chance?

Because from my point of view, this strengthens the Reds at a time when the Cardinals are in a dogfight with them.

1. davidc45629 - Aug 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM

From what I understand hundreds of players are put on waivers and cleared. The Cards wouldn’t know the Reds were interested in Edmonds until its too late.

2. birdmancometh - Aug 9, 2010 at 1:52 PM

All it means is less time for the Reds best OF Chris Heisey. Come on Dusty!

3. BC - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Can’t figure out St. Louis didn’t pull the old “Paul Lynde to block” thing….
    Edmonds has had a heck of a year for a guy I thought was done 5 years ago. First ballot entrant into The Hall Of The Not-Quite Hall Of Fame.

4. keg64 - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Let none dare question the wisdom, nay Genius, of the man with the correspondance course law degree. Bats? We don’t need no stinkin’ bats! All must bow to LaRusset.

5. Football - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM

The Edmonds acquisition won’t take any ABs from Heisey. It will take ABs away from Nix and Gomes. Nix probbaly loses his roster spot.

6. Paper Lions - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Is it possible that the Cardinals thought that the Brewers might not pull him back? In which case, they would have to find a spot on their 40-man roster for him.

7. Paper Lions - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM

…or possibly that Edmonds only has one EBH (a double) since July 20th?

8. Paper Lions - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM

argh…that should have been XBH not EBH

9. aleskel - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM

They’re getting the band back together! Someone see what Larry Walker is up to!

10. birdmancometh - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I was holding out hope that Heisey would take AB’s from Nix and Gomes…but this is Dusty Baker after all. He sure loves overrated old guys. Lance Nix?

11. saintez - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM

The writing is on the wall for Nix… Edmonds (Paper Lions) had a pinch hit HR to beat the Reds just two weeks ago. This one falls squarely on the shoulder of the Cardinals front office. We’ll take him!

12. bbeer - Aug 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Well, damn. I liked Edmonds but the kid the brewers brought up to play center is a total stud so I guess I saw this coming…I was hoping Gomez was gonna get traded instead…

13. Dreamer - Aug 9, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I hate that this happened!! Love Jim Edmonds – wish the Cubs had kept him. He is totally a class act! I hate the Reds (especially Joey “I have no class and hold a grudge like a 6 year old” Votto) – even more than our competitiveness with the Cardinals (don’t hate the Cardinals – just want to beat them) – but if Jim gets a chance to go the World Series with the Reds then good for him.

14. saintez - Aug 9, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Nice. Hating on Votto. Funny how his teammates love him and yeah, he just happens to be leading the league in nearly every significant offensive stat. That’s right, I forgot. Your a cubs fan. Don’t you love how they can’t turn a double play? Enjoy the sweep? I did….

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3997)