Aug 9, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
The Brewers have traded Jim Edmonds to the Reds for outfielder Chris Dickerson. This from the Reds Twitter feed of all places.
Wow. Edmonds is hitting .286/.350./493 this year and will help a Reds outfield that has been uneven. He’s also making only $850K this year, around a third of which would still be owed. Which makes me wonder how he managed to clear waivers given that he’s still pretty darn useful.
Indeed, the Cardinals — with a worse record than the Reds — could have blocked the deal by making a waiver claim. Was this an oversight? Do the Cardinals not want to risk having to pay Edmonds? Is there too much water under the bridge on a personal level between team and player that they didn’t want to take that chance?
Because from my point of view, this strengthens the Reds at a time when the Cardinals are in a dogfight with them.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 65
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (101)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)