Aug 9, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
A week later, Mike Leake’s case for NL Rookie of the Year honors just got a whole lot better.
MLB on Monday made a scoring change that gave Scott Rolen an error on a shot to third that was originally ruled a Lastings Milledge double in last Tuesday’s game between the Reds and Pirates.
As a result, Leake, who was originally charged with seven runs — six earned — over five innings in his third loss of the season, now gets tagged with no earned runs in the game.
His ERA, which had stood at 3.86, drops down to 3.43, placing him 18th in the NL.
Leake remains a long shot to win Rookie of the Year, but with Jaime Garcia returning to earth and Jason Heyward having missed time, he has a chance. Here are the stats of the top contenders at the moment:
Mike Leake – 7-3, 3.43 ERA, 132 H, 78/44 K/BB in 126 IP
Jaime Garcia – 9-5, 2.53 ERA, 113 H, 97/46 K/BB in 121 IP
Jon Niese – 7-5, 3.63 ERA, 124 H, 93/42 K/BB in 119 IP
Jonny Venters – 3-0, 1 Sv, 1.10 ERA, 33 H, 60/25 K/BB in 57 1/3 IP
Jason Heyward – .261/.375/.443, 11 HR, 50 RBI, 8 SB in 341 AB
Buster Posey – .342/.389/.518, 8 HR, 37 RBI, 0 SB in 222 AB
Starlin Castro – .308/.356/.443, 3 HR, 33 RBI, 5 SB in 289 AB
Gaby Sanchez – .294/.355/.461, 12 HR, 52 RBI, 5 SB in 395 AB
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (115)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)