Aug 9, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
A week later, Mike Leake’s case for NL Rookie of the Year honors just got a whole lot better.
MLB on Monday made a scoring change that gave Scott Rolen an error on a shot to third that was originally ruled a Lastings Milledge double in last Tuesday’s game between the Reds and Pirates.
As a result, Leake, who was originally charged with seven runs — six earned — over five innings in his third loss of the season, now gets tagged with no earned runs in the game.
His ERA, which had stood at 3.86, drops down to 3.43, placing him 18th in the NL.
Leake remains a long shot to win Rookie of the Year, but with Jaime Garcia returning to earth and Jason Heyward having missed time, he has a chance. Here are the stats of the top contenders at the moment:
Mike Leake – 7-3, 3.43 ERA, 132 H, 78/44 K/BB in 126 IP
Jaime Garcia – 9-5, 2.53 ERA, 113 H, 97/46 K/BB in 121 IP
Jon Niese – 7-5, 3.63 ERA, 124 H, 93/42 K/BB in 119 IP
Jonny Venters – 3-0, 1 Sv, 1.10 ERA, 33 H, 60/25 K/BB in 57 1/3 IP
Jason Heyward – .261/.375/.443, 11 HR, 50 RBI, 8 SB in 341 AB
Buster Posey – .342/.389/.518, 8 HR, 37 RBI, 0 SB in 222 AB
Starlin Castro – .308/.356/.443, 3 HR, 33 RBI, 5 SB in 289 AB
Gaby Sanchez – .294/.355/.461, 12 HR, 52 RBI, 5 SB in 395 AB
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)