Aug 9, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
A week later, Mike Leake’s case for NL Rookie of the Year honors just got a whole lot better.
MLB on Monday made a scoring change that gave Scott Rolen an error on a shot to third that was originally ruled a Lastings Milledge double in last Tuesday’s game between the Reds and Pirates.
As a result, Leake, who was originally charged with seven runs — six earned — over five innings in his third loss of the season, now gets tagged with no earned runs in the game.
His ERA, which had stood at 3.86, drops down to 3.43, placing him 18th in the NL.
Leake remains a long shot to win Rookie of the Year, but with Jaime Garcia returning to earth and Jason Heyward having missed time, he has a chance. Here are the stats of the top contenders at the moment:
Mike Leake – 7-3, 3.43 ERA, 132 H, 78/44 K/BB in 126 IP
Jaime Garcia – 9-5, 2.53 ERA, 113 H, 97/46 K/BB in 121 IP
Jon Niese – 7-5, 3.63 ERA, 124 H, 93/42 K/BB in 119 IP
Jonny Venters – 3-0, 1 Sv, 1.10 ERA, 33 H, 60/25 K/BB in 57 1/3 IP
Jason Heyward – .261/.375/.443, 11 HR, 50 RBI, 8 SB in 341 AB
Buster Posey – .342/.389/.518, 8 HR, 37 RBI, 0 SB in 222 AB
Starlin Castro – .308/.356/.443, 3 HR, 33 RBI, 5 SB in 289 AB
Gaby Sanchez – .294/.355/.461, 12 HR, 52 RBI, 5 SB in 395 AB
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)