Aug 9, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
A week later, Mike Leake’s case for NL Rookie of the Year honors just got a whole lot better.
MLB on Monday made a scoring change that gave Scott Rolen an error on a shot to third that was originally ruled a Lastings Milledge double in last Tuesday’s game between the Reds and Pirates.
As a result, Leake, who was originally charged with seven runs — six earned — over five innings in his third loss of the season, now gets tagged with no earned runs in the game.
His ERA, which had stood at 3.86, drops down to 3.43, placing him 18th in the NL.
Leake remains a long shot to win Rookie of the Year, but with Jaime Garcia returning to earth and Jason Heyward having missed time, he has a chance. Here are the stats of the top contenders at the moment:
Mike Leake – 7-3, 3.43 ERA, 132 H, 78/44 K/BB in 126 IP
Jaime Garcia – 9-5, 2.53 ERA, 113 H, 97/46 K/BB in 121 IP
Jon Niese – 7-5, 3.63 ERA, 124 H, 93/42 K/BB in 119 IP
Jonny Venters – 3-0, 1 Sv, 1.10 ERA, 33 H, 60/25 K/BB in 57 1/3 IP
Jason Heyward – .261/.375/.443, 11 HR, 50 RBI, 8 SB in 341 AB
Buster Posey – .342/.389/.518, 8 HR, 37 RBI, 0 SB in 222 AB
Starlin Castro – .308/.356/.443, 3 HR, 33 RBI, 5 SB in 289 AB
Gaby Sanchez – .294/.355/.461, 12 HR, 52 RBI, 5 SB in 395 AB
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)