The biggest homer homer call in baseball history

Aug 9, 2010, 10:21 AM EDT

Memo to Pirates' announcers Steve Blass and Greg Brown: Even if you haven't been there before, fellas, at least act like you've been there.

Pedro Alvarez hit a dramatic walkoff homer for the Pirates on Saturday night.  It was a pretty big deal for Pirates fans who haven’t had a hell of a lot to celebrate in recent years. For that reason I understand it if the announcers went a little
over-the-top with the call. But the cheering and whistling from Pirates’
radio guys Steve Blass and Greg Brown was a little bit much.

(h/t Deadspin)

1. Saints97 - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

That is more sad than anything.

2. nps6724 - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I’m all for excitement, but geez. You’d think the Pirates weren’t 39-72 or 24.5 games out of 1st or the 2nd-worst team in baseball with that call.

3. BC - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

They have nothing on this guy:

4. Xpensive Wino - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Any team that would have Steve Blass working as one of it’s announcers deserves whatever it gets.
    That moron makes that other moron Ken Harrelson look like Vin Scully.

5. RDuffieldC - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Most amazing part of the call was the fact that he said the game had a sell-out crowd. Is that for real? Or did he get a little caught up in the moment….well, more so.

6. steelers rule - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I guess you never listen to Redsox and Yankee announcers! Now that homers!

7. cusoman - Aug 9, 2010 at 10:58 AM

You take what you can get when you have a team that horrible. It’s like all the excitement they would have had if they were a decent ball club came out in that one instant.

8. Jonny5 - Aug 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I guess they don’t flag announcers at the bar??

9. YankeesfanLen - Aug 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM

All that Steel City spilt in the broadcast booth. Oh, the humanity! Never want to hear a crack about John Sterling again.
    Wasn’t PNC sold out because of some kind of concert after the game?

10. Joe - Aug 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Ummm…I guess you never listen to Red Sox (two words) announcers. They never react like this.

11. Old Gator - Aug 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Wouldn’t “Hyperbole” make a great name for a dog?

12. bmoline - Aug 9, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I’m assuming Brown is doing the PBP, and I didn’t think he was too bad. But Blass is so over the top it’s embarrassing.

13. Curmugeon Frank - Aug 9, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Yes please act like you’ve been there before.

14. RichardInBigD - Aug 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

How DARE you invoke the name of the Right Reverend Mr. Scully in the same thread that these idiots are featured in?

15. JBerardi - Aug 9, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Holy crap, guys. Save something for the World Series…

16. Md23Rewls - Aug 9, 2010 at 1:27 PM

The Yankee and Red Sox announcers, especially the TV guys, are actually pretty professional about things. Mainly, I’d suspect, because they know they are in giant media markets and have giant national followings, which means they have to keep a straight face. We’re discounting Sterling’s existence in this equation, because I try to pretend the Yankee radio broadcast does not exist. Props to Michael Kay, though.

17. thewizardofaz - Aug 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM

When I was young, I was a Pirates fan from the time I could remember and now in Arizona rooting for the D-backs since before they first took the field. On my little transistor radio, I listened to Bob Prince and Nelli Fox broadcast, and I listed to almost every game. Back then, announcers were fans first, rabid fans, especially Prince. They emoted that feeling. I loved the guy. He was screaming and hollering all the time. If they had been down through the whole game, but came back to win it, he’d shout, “we had em all the way”. He got excited, and then the listeners got excited. I listen to Joe Buck and want to cry, he’s so damn “professional”. He’s sterile. His broadcasts have no life. Marty Brennaman is someone I really like. He’s not afraid to voice an opinion or to support his team and give the opposition the what for. He’s a fan, not a politically correct monotone who announces. I now am stuck with Mark Grace and Daron Sutton, former Cubs great and son of Hall of Famer, respectively. They believe they have to be a comedy team. Mark has good insights, but the two still have not gelled into what I would consider a great, or even good team. It’s lounge lizard broadcasting. If you can’t get excited about a good thing, especially on a team like the Pirates are now, you should not be in announcing. Especially for the Pirates, the top farm team for the NL.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3299)