Aug 9, 2010, 1:57 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York takes a look at the Mets’ salary commitments for 2011 and concludes that the situation looks dire:
Even if the Mets had 16 players making the major league minimum next
season — which is impossible — the salary commitments for 2011 already
total $120 million.
The nine who make up that amount are Johan Santana, Carlos Beltran. Jason Bay, David Wright Jose Reyes, K-Rod, Oliver Perez, Luis Castillo and Ryota Igarashi.
Of course that crunch isn’t new for next year. It’s obviously been felt this year too, as the Mets made no moves of consequence at the deadline and were reported to be demanding money back from any team with whom they negotiated.
Of course, given how poorly last winter’s big free agent signing has gone so far, the Mets probably wouldn’t have been buyers this winter regardless.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)