And That Happened: Monday's Scores and Highlights

Aug 10, 2010, 6:03 AM EDT

The Cardinals let the Reds know that they still have a ways to go before they can claim the NL Central.

Cardinals 7, Reds 3: Mike Leake got rocked and the Cardinals made a statement in game one of a big series. And it is only one game, Reds fans, even if it didn’t feel like it. Jim Edmonds’ Reds debut: 0 for 4. Theory: he’s a deep cover agent sent out by the Cards three years ago with the express purpose of hiding his tracks in Chicago, San Diego and Milwaukee before submarining the Reds. Very clever, La Russa. Very clever.

Red Sox 2, Yankees 1: I stand by my real-time Bard gushing from yesterday, subsequent Teixeira homer notwithstanding. Dude announced his presence with authority.

Astros 10, Braves 4: I’m coming down with something nasty. Feels like a flu. Aches all over and just general blah. Because of this I went to bed really early last night, turning this game off when the Braves were up 4-3. I’m glad I did because I don’t think I could have stood it to watch Kyle Farnsworth come into a close game, let alone blow the hell up like he did here. Single, throwing error, walk, single, wild pitch, and finally a walk for The Perfesser, and of course Peter Moylan came in and allowed basically everyone to score. If I was watching this I would have put a brick through my monitor. My guess: Farnsworth doesn’t see action for the rest of the year unless there’s a minimum of a six-run spread at the time.

Orioles 3, White Sox 2: And the O’s keep rolling. Walkoff blast for Brian Roberts in the 10th. The homer came off J.J. Putz, though, not Bobby Jenks so I suppose that kept Ozzie Guillen from committing homicide last night.

Rays 6, Tigers 3: It wasn’t efficient — 115 pitches in five innings — but I suppose David Price’s 9 Ks were effective enough. Eight losses in ten games for the Tigers. On the bright side, they can safely make October vacation plans now.

Diamondbacks 7, Brewers 4: Ken Macha has been putting Trevor Hoffman into games late again, probably as a means of getting him to 600 saves before the year is out. This wasn’t a save situation — it was a tie game in the tenth — but it probably shows the folly of continuing to put Hoffman into anything close to critical spots anymore, as the Dbacks tag him for three runs.

Giants 4, Cubs 3: Carlos Zambrano returned to the rotation and, while he only allowed two runs in five innings, he walked seven dudes and one of those runs scored on a wild pitch. So yeah, there’s more to work on than just anger management.

Angels 6, Royals 4: The Angels jumped out to a 5-0 lead and held on as the Royals charged late. Bobby Abreu had three hits and drove in four from the leadoff spot. And by the way, can I tell you how much I love seeing Bobby Abreu in the leadoff spot? He was born for it — at least the latter-career, low power version of him was — and it’s nice to see Mike Scioscia finally get his mind around the fact that you don’t need a fast dude to bat first.

Mariners 3, Athletics 1: Dude: Triple play. Around-the-horn style, too, which is way more awesome than those “second baseman gets a line drive and everyone stands around confused while he randomly tags people and makes an anticlimactic throw to first to double-off a dude” kind.  And hey: let’s just ignore the fact that it the throw to first was almost certainly late, shall we? The M’s had a bad enough day without letting little old things like facts get in the way of a good story.

1. JasonC23 - Aug 10, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Dude!

2. YankeesfanLen - Aug 10, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Lester was masterful, Bard was super, Papelbon sufficient. FAT TOAD celebrates a strikeout on ball three but does no further damage. Nor do the Yankee bats but many runners get a good view of the field.
    If you’re already sick, and Farnsworthless comes in for reiief, you’ll end up in the ER.

3. Proudly Canadian - Aug 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Nice to see Bard used up. He was gassed when he was pulled from the game. I doubt that he will face the Jays today. Even if he pitches tomorrow, he will not be as effective as he was when he first came in to face the Yankees.

4. FlyEaglesFly - Aug 10, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Hey Craig, this isn’t tennis or volleyball. The home team should be listed second regardless of who wins the game.

5. Philip P - Aug 10, 2010 at 8:43 AM

“let’s just ignore the fact that it the throw to first was almost certainly late, shall we?”
    So an umpire error that negates something good = lynch mob
    An umpire error that allows something good = no big deal
    ????????????????????

6. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 10, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I see you have a style guide for “And That Happened” which supersedes my own! You’re 100% correct! Now that you have pointed out the error of my ways, I shall immediately change the way I’ve been doing this feature for the past three seasons!
    Or maybe I won’t.

7. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 10, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Dude, there was a bit of sarcasm intended there.
    And I don’t form a lynch mob every time an ump misses a call. I tend to get more animated when an ump misses a call that is the clear difference between a team winning and a team losing or when the ump’s miss is particularly egregious. I don’t moan about every bang-bang play that gets screwed up.

8. Simon DelMonte - Aug 10, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Have to say that the Yankees have looked mortal of late. Still the best team in baseball, but to have a 3-4 homestand makes me think that they are beatable in a short series. It will interesting to see what they do in Texas. It will also be interesting to see if Texas can play well against the East.

9. Joe - Aug 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM

“My guess: Farnsworth doesn’t see for the rest of the year unless there’s a minimum of a six-run spread at the time.”
    Dude, Farnsworth might be worthless, but taking away his eyesight seems a bit harsh.

10. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

He Ain’t Got No Distractions
    Can’t Hear Those Razzies And Bells,
    Don’t See Lights A Flashin’
    Plays By Sense Of Smell.
    Always ahead of hitters,
    ‘N’ always gets the call…
    That blind sucker Farnsworth
    Sure Plays A Mean baseball….

11. Ari Collins - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Goddamnit Gator, now that’s gonna be stuck in my head all day. Though… probaly not with your version of the lyrics.

12. YankeesfanLen - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Jerry Bruckheimer’s baseball/crime tv pilot awaits your magical musical touch. Will Ferrell as Farnsy?

13. El Bravo - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Re Farnsy: “Single, throwing error, walk, single, wild pitch, and finally a walk for The Perfesser…”
    I live in Chicago and saw Farnsworthless firsthand. He is the wild thing and my heart cries that he’s on my favorite team now. This guy sucks and can blow a game when he comes in with a 10-run lead. There’s physical talent but no control or consistency and if it hasn’t happened by now, it won’t happen. The best thing he ever did was football tackle that charging Reds player years back…can anyone link me to that video? I digress, the guy isn’t very good and it was a terrible acquisition by the Bravos. I’m ashamed, unless they think they can do some pitching coaching magic, it was the worst move they’ve made in awhile. BOOOO!!!

14. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Ferrell’s hot right now, with a hit TV show and a film at the same time. Since I’ve been watching Scrooge McLoria, I’ve learned a lot about budgeting for a baseball/crime TV pilot. Better idea: we can get Albert Brooks off the scrapheap on a one-year, incentive laden deal.

15. Spudchukar - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Actually Edmonds stung the ball pretty well, a couple of lineouts and another well-hit one hopper. Being a Cardinal fan, his presence and production in that lineup scares me. Jocketty is knows what he is doing.

16. APBA Guy - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Talk about boring baseball: two teams, carbon copies of each other, meaning all pitching and no offense, playing in a big ol’ pitcher’s park, that’s the 2010 M’s vs. A’s. And last night was a perfect example. You could see the symptoms in the stands, yawning dates leaning on glassy-eyed boyfriends. Lots of texting “meet me for an Ichi-roll when Oakland bats in the 2nd.” Not pretty. Doug Fister showed his early season form, pitching around his lack of stuff. And new-guy Chris Carter had his own episode of the X-files last night, as in “It came from out of nowhere, the slider that broke outside”. And even though he’d seen it before, he kept swinging, and swinging, and swinging. The M’s interim manager had a definite idea of what to do with the bullpen though. Sean White in the 7th, kind of like Fister but shorter. Then Brandon League, hello 96 with movement. The A’s couldn’t catch up. Then David Aardsma, 97 with a sharp slider. Thanks for playing. I think that’s what Jack Z had in mind in March, a lot of close wins with the bullpen shutting down the game after 6 by an effective starter.

17. Spudchukar - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Anger Management is a better description for the Cubs front office and skipper position than the fragile psyche of Zambrano. But they did hand out those woeful contracts, and Lou did accept the job. Hate to see Pinella go out like this, but I would be out of town on the next train if I had his job. What a mess the Cubs are!

18. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM

They have Ichi-rolls at Yoshi’s?

19. Chipmaker - Aug 10, 2010 at 2:50 PM

How about an @ symbol prefaced to the home team?

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey