Aug 10, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
Scot Shields is the last player on the Angels’ roster remaining from the World Series team of 2002, but Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times speculates that his “days in Anaheim appear numbered.”
Shields missed most of last season following knee surgery and has been terrible this year with a 6.05 ERA and 34/31 K/BB ratio in 38.2 innings. Once among the best and most durable setup men in baseball, Shields is now 35 years old and has seen just 19 percent of his action in “close and late” situations this season.
In the final season of a four-year, $18 million contract, the impending free agent is highly unlikely to re-sign with the Angels and according to DiGiovanna could be cut loose as soon as Jason Bulger or Brian Stokes are ready to come off the disabled list.
Because he never racked up many saves Shields tends to get overlooked in discussions of elite relievers, but from 2002-2008 he averaged 90 innings per season while winning 45 games with a 2.98 ERA. Among all active relievers with at least 500 career innings only Mariano Rivera (2.20), Billy Wagner (2.35), Francisco Rodriguez (2.50), and Trevor Hoffman (2.87) have lower ERAs than Shields’ career mark of 3.20.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (214)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)