Aug 10, 2010, 12:18 PM EST
Scot Shields is the last player on the Angels’ roster remaining from the World Series team of 2002, but Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times speculates that his “days in Anaheim appear numbered.”
Shields missed most of last season following knee surgery and has been terrible this year with a 6.05 ERA and 34/31 K/BB ratio in 38.2 innings. Once among the best and most durable setup men in baseball, Shields is now 35 years old and has seen just 19 percent of his action in “close and late” situations this season.
In the final season of a four-year, $18 million contract, the impending free agent is highly unlikely to re-sign with the Angels and according to DiGiovanna could be cut loose as soon as Jason Bulger or Brian Stokes are ready to come off the disabled list.
Because he never racked up many saves Shields tends to get overlooked in discussions of elite relievers, but from 2002-2008 he averaged 90 innings per season while winning 45 games with a 2.98 ERA. Among all active relievers with at least 500 career innings only Mariano Rivera (2.20), Billy Wagner (2.35), Francisco Rodriguez (2.50), and Trevor Hoffman (2.87) have lower ERAs than Shields’ career mark of 3.20.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)