Brandon Phillips doesn't back down; Cardinals still, presumably, "little bitches"

Aug 10, 2010, 5:36 PM EDT

Gotta admire a man for sticking to his guns.  Here’s Brandon Phillips a few minutes ago, the day after his “the Cardinals are little bitches” comments:

“I said what I said and the Cardinals can say what they said. They can
say all they want about what I said, I don’t care. I’ve said all I’ve
got to say. All I want to do is win, beat those guys and win.”

No “I was misquoted” or “that was taken out of context.”  He just owns it.  Good for him.

His teammates are basically letting it go too.  Bronson Arroyo describes it as “Brandon being Brandon,” and compares him to OchoCinco. Arroyo goes on to note that the whole “is this ammunition for the other guys” question isn’t easy to answer. After all, he says, if someone plunks Phillips over it, he’s liable to come around and score.

Dusty Baker and Walt Jocketty are also quoted and while neither of them seem all that happy about Phillips comments, their responses are more of the eyes rolling variety.  Which is probably the best response.  The only thing that makes this a bigger distraction than it already is is for the Reds to make it one.

1. Kiwicricket - Aug 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Did Bronson bust out a power ballard about everyones feelings in this matter when being quoted?

2. El Bravo - Aug 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Is a ballard one of those green ducks that sings Bon Jovi?

3. The Ol Goaler - Aug 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM

And as soon as Phillips steps up to the plate, both benches empty! (Heck, Jamie Garcia hadn’t even thrown a pitch yet!) Phillips said something to Yadier Molina, which Molina didn’t like, and he responded in kind… and a hockey game broke out! Dusty’s barking at the umpires at the moment; waiting to see if anybody’s gonna get ejected. The St. Louis version of the TV broadcast showed Reds starting pitcher Johnny Cueto backed up against the backstop, kicking people! Send the tape in to Bud, boys!
    Damnedest baseball fight I ever saw was between the Cards and Reds in 1967, before a big “Straight-A Student” crowd in St. Louis. It lasted about 45 minutes, and all these “brainiacs” in the stands were howling as if they were at the Roman Coliseum! (Why, yes, Bob Gibson was pitching that night… why do you ask?) [grin]

4. Florioisanidiot1 - Aug 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Phillips didn’t say a word to Molina at the plate. Molina’s the one that opened his mouth.

5. McGee - Aug 10, 2010 at 9:37 PM

..on a steeeel pond IIII riiiiide…

6. McGee - Aug 10, 2010 at 9:40 PM

yeah, Molina spoke up first – wouldn’t you, if the guy that called you out as “a little bitch” came walkin up?

7. Buccofan - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Cards 8, Reds 4. Tied for first place. Cards up 9-5 in the season’s series, going for the series sweep tomorrow afternoon.
    If the Cardinals are little b****es, the Reds are their even littler b****es.
    Brandon’s been listening too much to Ochostinko, another “professional” without even one playoff win in his career. At least Ochostinko has been in the post-season.

8. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Brandon Phillips ought to leave his brain to science. The lucky pathologist can publish his findings about how the idiot was able to tie his shoes with such an underdeveloped cerebral cortex in The Journal of Irreproducible Results.

9. MVD - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:57 AM

If my manager and pitching staff bitched about slippery baseballs, no. I’d accept the fact that my teammates and I are little bitches.
    And why would BP back down? A real man stands by his words.

10. thetechnocrat - Aug 11, 2010 at 7:10 AM

What a straight up piece of ghetto trash! Phillips should be banned for the rest of the year. This isn’t football or basketball where that kind of person/mentality is tolerated.

11. pwt3d - Aug 11, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Neither of them said anything, Phillip’s tapped his bat on Molina’s shin guard, which he always does, its like saying good luck to the other team, but after what he said the previous day, that wasn’t going to fly with Molina.

12. Sam Lee - Aug 11, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Wow, there’s a low shot. A Pirates fan who love playing beanball calling out a Reds fan. I guess your team is what for all of baseball?

13. 987123 - Aug 14, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Pitiful behavior, and some sports announcers saying that is what ought to be happening. Wrong. Baseball can be inspiring. I am not inspired by brawls, and hateful comments. Let’s get back to hard work, skill, exceptional effort and behavior we can admire.

Three legends off to Cooperstown