Brandon Phillips' trash talk comes back to bite

Aug 10, 2010, 1:56 AM EDT

Brandon Phillips is flashy and likes to live large.

He drives a custom Audi with purple paint and Gold Gloves on the wheels, and he blames his sweet ride for his recent reckless driving charge. (“I really didn’t know how fast I was going. That’s how powerful the car is.”)

The Cincinnati Reds’ All-Star second baseman also likes to talk, and he leveled some choice words at the St. Louis Cardinals before Monday’s game between the top two teams in the NL Central.

“I’d play against these guys on one leg,” Phillips insisted before the game. “We have to beat these guys. All they do is bitch and moan about everything — all of them. They’re little bitches — all of them.

“I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear: I hate the Cardinals.”

We got the message, loud and clear, and there’s nothing wrong with injecting a little spice into a division race that has until recently flown below the radar.

The problem for Phillips is that a response came quickly and with much authority as the Cardinals responded with a 7-3 romp on Monday night to pull within a game of the division lead.

Even worse, Tony La Russa used Phillips’ quote in a clever ploy to drive a wedge between Phillips and his Reds teammates. La Russa told Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

“I don’t think that will go over well in his clubhouse,” La Russa said. “Phillips is ripping his teammates. (Scott) Rolen, Edmonds, (Miguel) Cairo, (Russ) Springer, all of the ex-Cardinals over there. He isn’t talking about this year. He’s talking about the way we’ve always played. And those guys are old Cardinals. Tell him he’s ripping his own teammates, because they were all Cardinals.”

Oooh snap!

For the record, Phillips was 0-for-5 with a strikeout on Monday.  Lucky for him, he has two more games to back up his talk.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Reminds me of when David Cone, then with the Mutts, called the Bums a “little league team” or some such thing before the 1988 playoffs, and the Mutts got their clocks cleaned. Cone later admitted that it was a stupid thing to say. Phillips doesn’t sound like he’s even remotely bright enough to figure that out.

2. stargatebabe - Aug 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Phillips should back up his words (“We have to beat these guys”) with actions ( 0-for-5 with a strikeout ).
    Hopefully he’ll learn someday!

3. Jonny5 - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Really? It’s purple??? With gold gloves on the….. Wheels?? You must be kidding me.. I mean, gold gloves arent even remotely symetrical. My Dogs be diggin’ it though…
    Ummm, Oh yeah, trash talk. Well who knows “bitches” better than a dude sporting a purple car with gold bling?

4. mike wants wins - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM

What is wrong with his comments? Isn’t this exactly what people want, rivalries and “hatred” of your opponent? I suppose he should say, “we just play one game at a time. I like to win every game, doesn’t matter if it’s the Cards or someone else”…..

5. YankeesfanLen - Aug 10, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Whaddaya want to do, turn him into Derek Jeter?

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3072)