Aug 10, 2010, 11:46 AM EST
When the Angels traded for Alberto Callaspo last month general manager Tony Reagins was “defiant” in insisting that it wouldn’t lead to Brandon Wood being further phased out of the team’s plans, but predictably that’s exactly what happened.
Earl Bloom of the Orange County Register notes that the Angels have basically been playing with a 24-man roster following the trade, as Wood has batted exactly one time since Callaspo joined the team on July 23.
While the Angels cling to contention and a .500 record at 57-57 and manager Mike Scioscia hands center field over to rookie Peter Bourjos, the fact that Wood has essentially been nailed to the bench for three weeks says all there is to know about his role in the team’s long-term plans at this point. He’s out of minor-league options and thus can’t be sent to Triple-A, but the Angels aren’t quite ready to risk losing him on waivers for nothing yet.
Despite being 25 years old with a .181 batting average and 126/11 K/BB ratio in 421 career plate appearances Wood would almost surely get snatched off waivers by some team willing to give him a shot, so my guess is that he’ll continue to collect dust down the stretch before being traded for pennies on the dollar this offseason.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)