Aug 10, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
When the Angels traded for Alberto Callaspo last month general manager Tony Reagins was “defiant” in insisting that it wouldn’t lead to Brandon Wood being further phased out of the team’s plans, but predictably that’s exactly what happened.
Earl Bloom of the Orange County Register notes that the Angels have basically been playing with a 24-man roster following the trade, as Wood has batted exactly one time since Callaspo joined the team on July 23.
While the Angels cling to contention and a .500 record at 57-57 and manager Mike Scioscia hands center field over to rookie Peter Bourjos, the fact that Wood has essentially been nailed to the bench for three weeks says all there is to know about his role in the team’s long-term plans at this point. He’s out of minor-league options and thus can’t be sent to Triple-A, but the Angels aren’t quite ready to risk losing him on waivers for nothing yet.
Despite being 25 years old with a .181 batting average and 126/11 K/BB ratio in 421 career plate appearances Wood would almost surely get snatched off waivers by some team willing to give him a shot, so my guess is that he’ll continue to collect dust down the stretch before being traded for pennies on the dollar this offseason.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)