Aug 10, 2010, 11:46 AM EST
When the Angels traded for Alberto Callaspo last month general manager Tony Reagins was “defiant” in insisting that it wouldn’t lead to Brandon Wood being further phased out of the team’s plans, but predictably that’s exactly what happened.
Earl Bloom of the Orange County Register notes that the Angels have basically been playing with a 24-man roster following the trade, as Wood has batted exactly one time since Callaspo joined the team on July 23.
While the Angels cling to contention and a .500 record at 57-57 and manager Mike Scioscia hands center field over to rookie Peter Bourjos, the fact that Wood has essentially been nailed to the bench for three weeks says all there is to know about his role in the team’s long-term plans at this point. He’s out of minor-league options and thus can’t be sent to Triple-A, but the Angels aren’t quite ready to risk losing him on waivers for nothing yet.
Despite being 25 years old with a .181 batting average and 126/11 K/BB ratio in 421 career plate appearances Wood would almost surely get snatched off waivers by some team willing to give him a shot, so my guess is that he’ll continue to collect dust down the stretch before being traded for pennies on the dollar this offseason.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 32
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 50
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)