Brewers to erect a statue of Bud Selig

Aug 10, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT

I'm no artist, but if I may suggest a pose the sculptor may wish to consider . . .

And there was much rejoicing. At least among pigeons:

The Milwaukee Brewers plan to unveil a statue honoring baseball commissioner and former owner Bud Selig on Aug. 24.

Selig’s
likeness will join those of Hank Aaron and Robin Yount in front of
Miller Park. Selig’s foundation donated the first two statues at the
stadium. Selig’s statue will be cast in bronze and measure more than seven feet tall.

We all take our shots at Bud Selig, and a lot of those shots are warranted. But I can’t take issue with a Bud Selig statue outside of Miller Park.

Selig worked his butt off to bring baseball to Milwaukee after the Braves abandoned the city. The Brewers are a great franchise too, leveraging their tiny market beyond anything that could reasonably be expected and there’s more passion for that team in Wisconsin than for 20 other baseball teams I could name. No, that didn’t all occur on Selig’s watch — he hasn’t owned the team in years — but it wouldn’t have been possible without his efforts and passion for baseball.

That doesn’t take away the bad stuff — he was one of the midwifes who helped give birth to collusion, his leadership gave us the suspended 1994 season and he turned a blind eye to steroids for way too long — but I think that goes on his Commissioner’s ledger, not his ownership one.  Give the man his statue. Give the man his day.

Then — as we do for almost every other statue — ignore it for all purposes other than as a second hand ticket sales rendezvous point.

1. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Dear Buddha, please let me reincarnate as a pigeon….

2. Travis W - Aug 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Hold the jokes? No way. This is definitely the last errection of Bud Selig.

3. Ari Collins - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:03 PM

^^ nice

4. Ari Collins - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Maybe I’m just not getting the implication, but I clicked the link really wanting to hear the full joke of what pose you’d suggest for the statue.
    Well-written piece though. Got a good point about Selig-as-owner versus Selig-as-commish.

5. CJ - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM

The pitcure of him throwing his hands up as if having no clue might have something to do with the headline.

6. Fecteau - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Hold the jokes… Like stating it would help (actually it may cause people who wouldn’t even read it feel a NEED to make jokes)
    But I’m not going to stray from touching this one (I don’t want to be anywhere near Selig’ erection!!!) Its just sad… He killed the All Star game, (with the tie in his ballpark) he’s already killed baseball in a way by allowing PED’s to run rampant in the league for so long, and now, he denied (although some argue that he cannot change this) fixing Armando Galarraga’s perfect game (I don’t care what anyone says. The commiss should be able to do whatever he well pleases! Especially if it rights a wrong that the umpire admits right after the game) My concern is would he have had the same reaction if this wasn’t already the year of the no hitter, with 2 Perfect games within a month of the incident…
    Selig… you suck! I’d rather see a Bart Giamatti 6 feet under as commissioner, he’d do better than a living Selig…

7. BC - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:32 PM

This one is my personal favorite….

8. YankeesfanLen - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I seem to remember a scene from “The Music Man” where Paul Ford as the mayor says “Someday they’ll erect a statue of me in this town” and Hermoine Gingold (as his wife) says “Well don’t start posing for it now”.

9. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Gotta hand it to you, Fecteau – during your inexplicable absence you somehow managed either to learn grammar and spelling, or you figured out how to turn on your grammar and spell checker and were apparently able somehow to understand the difference between the subtextual red and subtextual green squiggles. Either way, a belated welcome to the land of the literate! We’re all proud of you.

10. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Khan put one of those bugs in his ear, didn’t he? That would go a long way towards explaining how his brain got eaten.

11. imabigdog - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM

The real Bud could stand there, and no one would know the difference.

12. YANKEES1996 - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I hope the artist that does the statue is able to capture that truly “clueless” look that is on Buds’ face during most of his press conferences!

13. paul - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Yes, the all star game tie left me quivering in the fetal position as well. I lost all belief in God, Country and Hank Williams, Jr because of this. The baseball media and fans are correct – The All Star game must MEAN SOMETHING! Of course when it is played for home field advantage in the WS the minions cry about how that is a joke. Listen the guy is friggin 80 years old. A. he knew jack (crap) about performance enhancing drugs. B. He wanted to institute testing even before the hue and cry from the guardians of everthing hold (Baseball Writers of America) but the union would not agreet. The only thing he could have done is throw himself between Roger Clemens butt.

14. tango - Aug 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I would aslo like to reincarnate as a pidgeon and migrate to Wisconsin. Selig, in the aggregate is not worthy of anything, including a statute

15. yankee mike - Aug 10, 2010 at 2:35 PM

when i die i hope i’m reincarnated as a pigeon. in milwaukee.

16. smokehouse - Aug 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Oh good God. This has to be a joke. Sorry Paul, you are wrong on so many fronts. I expect you to show me where he was fighting roids’ long before everyone else. Seilg’s decisions seem to be all wrong, in my opinon. He is not a leader of men. He is the worst commish’ below all others in the four major sports. Give it a rest. Next you will want him in Cooperstown.

17. Utley's hair - Aug 10, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Can the sculptor get Selig to shrug and throw up his hands while keeping his head up his nether region?

18. BC - Aug 10, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Bronze is a very malleable metal when heated. I’m sure the sculptor can do that.

19. Kiwicricket - Aug 10, 2010 at 4:25 PM

If the sculptor could make Bud’s statue in the Paul ONeil pose from an earlier post, I for one would be amused! Why stop at just 7ft?? Why not a full blown Bud’o’Saurus, where children can slide down his tail, and large birds of prey can nest in his ears?

20. Kiwicricket - Aug 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Please god can the sculptor have a sense of humour and have Bud’s pants up to his arm-pits just like in real life.

21. Omega - Aug 10, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Before I heard about this statue, I had no real desire to ever travel to Milwakee. I am sure it is a fine city, and thanks for all the beer guys, but it was not on my list of places to go.
    But now
    for some odd reason
    I am compelled to go see the 7 foot tall Bud Selig.
    I can see it now, glistening in the sun, a smile on his big dopey face, gazing down upon the adoring Brewer’s fans as the head off to Miller Park for a game, eventho they pay him no mind.
    I fall down to my knees and have some sort of epiphany, about something…just not sure what it would be tho.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5037)