Aug 10, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
And there was much rejoicing. At least among pigeons:
The Milwaukee Brewers plan to unveil a statue honoring baseball commissioner and former owner Bud Selig on Aug. 24.
likeness will join those of Hank Aaron and Robin Yount in front of
Miller Park. Selig’s foundation donated the first two statues at the
stadium. Selig’s statue will be cast in bronze and measure more than seven feet tall.
We all take our shots at Bud Selig, and a lot of those shots are warranted. But I can’t take issue with a Bud Selig statue outside of Miller Park.
Selig worked his butt off to bring baseball to Milwaukee after the Braves abandoned the city. The Brewers are a great franchise too, leveraging their tiny market beyond anything that could reasonably be expected and there’s more passion for that team in Wisconsin than for 20 other baseball teams I could name. No, that didn’t all occur on Selig’s watch — he hasn’t owned the team in years — but it wouldn’t have been possible without his efforts and passion for baseball.
That doesn’t take away the bad stuff — he was one of the midwifes who helped give birth to collusion, his leadership gave us the suspended 1994 season and he turned a blind eye to steroids for way too long — but I think that goes on his Commissioner’s ledger, not his ownership one. Give the man his statue. Give the man his day.
Then — as we do for almost every other statue — ignore it for all purposes other than as a second hand ticket sales rendezvous point.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)