Aug 10, 2010, 11:02 AM EST
And there was much rejoicing. At least among pigeons:
The Milwaukee Brewers plan to unveil a statue honoring baseball commissioner and former owner Bud Selig on Aug. 24.
likeness will join those of Hank Aaron and Robin Yount in front of
Miller Park. Selig’s foundation donated the first two statues at the
stadium. Selig’s statue will be cast in bronze and measure more than seven feet tall.
We all take our shots at Bud Selig, and a lot of those shots are warranted. But I can’t take issue with a Bud Selig statue outside of Miller Park.
Selig worked his butt off to bring baseball to Milwaukee after the Braves abandoned the city. The Brewers are a great franchise too, leveraging their tiny market beyond anything that could reasonably be expected and there’s more passion for that team in Wisconsin than for 20 other baseball teams I could name. No, that didn’t all occur on Selig’s watch — he hasn’t owned the team in years — but it wouldn’t have been possible without his efforts and passion for baseball.
That doesn’t take away the bad stuff — he was one of the midwifes who helped give birth to collusion, his leadership gave us the suspended 1994 season and he turned a blind eye to steroids for way too long — but I think that goes on his Commissioner’s ledger, not his ownership one. Give the man his statue. Give the man his day.
Then — as we do for almost every other statue — ignore it for all purposes other than as a second hand ticket sales rendezvous point.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)