Aug 10, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
And there was much rejoicing. At least among pigeons:
The Milwaukee Brewers plan to unveil a statue honoring baseball commissioner and former owner Bud Selig on Aug. 24.
likeness will join those of Hank Aaron and Robin Yount in front of
Miller Park. Selig’s foundation donated the first two statues at the
stadium. Selig’s statue will be cast in bronze and measure more than seven feet tall.
We all take our shots at Bud Selig, and a lot of those shots are warranted. But I can’t take issue with a Bud Selig statue outside of Miller Park.
Selig worked his butt off to bring baseball to Milwaukee after the Braves abandoned the city. The Brewers are a great franchise too, leveraging their tiny market beyond anything that could reasonably be expected and there’s more passion for that team in Wisconsin than for 20 other baseball teams I could name. No, that didn’t all occur on Selig’s watch — he hasn’t owned the team in years — but it wouldn’t have been possible without his efforts and passion for baseball.
That doesn’t take away the bad stuff — he was one of the midwifes who helped give birth to collusion, his leadership gave us the suspended 1994 season and he turned a blind eye to steroids for way too long — but I think that goes on his Commissioner’s ledger, not his ownership one. Give the man his statue. Give the man his day.
Then — as we do for almost every other statue — ignore it for all purposes other than as a second hand ticket sales rendezvous point.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)